The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi amazing community,

I’ve been trying to find out the reason why 0 to 1 KH is recommended many caridina shrimp but not finding much info that explains why.

So I’m hoping you guys have some knowledge you could share.

Is it because higher KH tends to raise PH which shrimp like TB prefer it on the lower end?
Is it because the carbonates make their shells extra hard so they can’t molt?
Or something totally different

I want to learn because I have a high tech tank that I dose EI and have been successful with neos, however, even though I use RO water and SaltyShrimp, when I test my water at water change, the KH goes up to 5-6 from 2-3 at beginning of the EI cycle.
And I would like to get some caridina shrimp but want to make sure they would have a good habitat even on a high tech aquarium.

Thank you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
its if you are using active substrate like stratum or ADA, the substrate will lower ph slowly, but if you have higher kh, the substrate will quicken the process, risking a chance of shrimp dying

its if you are using active substrate like stratum or ADA, the substrate will lower ph slowly, but if you have higher kh, the substrate will quicken the process, risking a chance of shrimp dying
ah, sorry rushed to quickly, the kh will actually slow down the process, as the kh needs to be first gone and then the substrate can state to buffer (y)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Active substrate (aka substrate that releases tannins to produce acidic conditions) with 0 KH works for many Caridinas. If you add KH to the tank, then you are fighting the ability of the soil to keep the acidic water acidic. KH wants to raise pH. The soil absorbs KH. The more KH it absorbs, the faster the soil exhausts itself, or rather, stops being able to lower the pH of the water.

Many Caridina may be able to live in higher pH conditions, but they wont THRIVE. In order to get them to THRIVE, they need the more acidic conditions.

If you want to add Caridina to your tank.... have you considered Tigers? They are likely your best bet without having to worry about changing parameters - as long as there's enough GH of course.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha, so it does seem that the 0KH is basically to keep the PH on the lower end.

Wether with some BeeShrimp salts, or an active substrate.

And if using an active substrate, to avoid burning the buffering capabilities fast enough.

Thanks for the input.

I’m definitely looking at Tigers, looking forward to some blue tigers living in harmony with some Bloody Mary neos. (Have two different colors without risking too much breaking the lines and reverting to wild)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.