The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my third week after a rescape and I have noticed my fresh baby plants starting to be torn up. It seems every time the lights come on I notice another plant chewed up. I have only seen shrimp on the plants, but I cant imagine they have the strength to rip up a plant. Some of the holes are in the middle of the leaves and some are on the side. I'm not sure who it is and what I can do about it. I make sure everyone in there is fed daily.

Here's my current stock list:

30+ Cardinals
3x Boesemani Rainbow
10+ Amano Shrimp
3x Otto Cats
2x Skunk Cory
1x SAE
1x Albino Bristle Nose
3+ Assassin Snails

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Do you have a confirmed ID on the SAE? Quite a few species are sold mislabeled as SAE.

From your list, I have heard of plecos and Rainbows munching on plants. Some people don't have problems with them, so I suspect it may be a imbalance in their diet causing the fish to resort to munching on plants to receive the necessary nutrients they lack from their diet.

But I have seen all sorts of fish resort to eating plant matter if they are starving. Cardinals, plecos, SAE, and rainbows can do so.

If your plants are decaying for one reason or another, many types of fish/inverts will eat the soft, mushy decaying areas of the plants (so the fish wouldn't be the primary cause of the holes in plants).

·
Registered
791 Posts
+1 on the BNP. Mine would leave all plants alone for months, then suddenly get a taste for my swords. Would rasp a leaf or two each day. Eventually would get tired of them and leave them alone for a long period. He had other food sources, so it wasn't starvation that turned his attention on the swords. Maybe more of a variety of foods would have helped.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
That isn't pleco damage. The pattern is completely wrong for it.

There looks to be some small damage that looks consistent with pond snails, but then also some large tears which do not look like snail damage.

Do you have pond snails in the tank?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen any. Maybe they could be hiding during the day, but I only bought one plant that wasn't tissue culture which I put in after the damage started.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could be your SAE.

Its mouth is not too big and not too small... thus tearing the leaves like that.

IME...
I use to have two SAE's... only one now... but the one that died literally chewed all my staurogyne repens from tips of the leaves all the way till the leaf hits the main stem. Then it ate the leave of my Crypt sp. green... left holes and tears in the leaves.
Odd, b/c the second SAE did none of that.

I hope you find out who is doing it.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Could be the SAE, I have not seen pictures of confirmed SAE damage before though I have heard they do sometimes damage plants, so I cannot help verify or deny that fish based on the pattern of damage but it might be worth removing it for a few weeks to see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.