The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having the adults fight with each other, clipping off claws, killing each other....

I finally have baby dwarf crays! I can only find three now, but I'm on the hunt. I put the berried female in my shrimp tank, so I'll have to try to find another small tank and separate them soon, but whoopieeeee!

:)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
WOOOOT Nice! I've seen my dwarfs mate eachother twice now, and probably more while I was gone, but I STILL don't see any eggs! Three dwarfs in there! DAH!

O yah, is the plural form of dwarf, dwarves? Just though dwarves sounded like Lord of the Rings :-D.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Congratulations man!! Woot Woot!!

And I think the correct plural form would be Dwarf Crayfish or Dwarf Crayfishes. Either can be used but not "dwarves" as that is only the first part of the name ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Congrad Epic!! How much are you going to sell them for? I want one or two or three. LOL

On a side note: I was Walmart today and dropped by the fish department. I don't buy, I just look and feel despair when I see all the captive hostages. Anyways, they had a lot of "Dwarf Lobsters". They were all mottled brown in color, with small pinchers/claws. I'll need to see some pics of the variety of dwarf crays, so I can identify them. You know I wasn't about to waste my time and ask what species they were. HA HA! I wanted to get one though....I know, shame on me. LOL

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not sure, it's a little difficult too tell. I'll go buy one and take a pic of it. Guess I'll need to get my 10g ready. LOL Yes, I have bio-media ready for the tank to cycle it fast with. :)

Do the males usually have the larger claws in front? You know, like with lobsters and their claws...yummmm lobster claws. LOL Dinner anyone? hehehe

·
Registered
780 Posts
Technically, "crayfishes" means 2 or more different species. "Crayfish" is singular and/or plural for a single species. The females can store the sperm until they have enough food/energy stored to produce eggs. I've seen several pairs of my orange/brown dwarf crayfish mate, but so far only see 2 females carrying eggs. One of them isn't one that I saw doing the deed. Hopefully I'll have some little ones before too much longer. They need a very well-established tank for the young to survive, and plenty of cover as well.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have enough cover...wayyyy too much cover. I can't find more than two or three at a time...but I know there's more because they look a bit different. Now I just have to hope they don't eat each other.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know what you mean about the cover. I have 15 adults in a 30 long, average is 3-5 visible at any given time. I occaisonally prune the ramshorn population, and some do come out for some freshly crushed snail meat. That's usually when I spot the berried females.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*cough*

I don't test for them! Tap water, 30% WCs every 3 weeks, Prime. Feed lots.

I know pH out of the tap is 7.4 or so here, hard water. I use TMS so it doesn't affect the kH/gH. I try to keep the temperature around 78*F. Lots of najas grass, lots of moss.

I'm about to do my monthly WC right now. And clean up my room. And plant that dwarf hairgrass in my 40 gallon. Gonna have a sore back tonight!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow! Busy busy. I just had to setup a temporary stand in my room for the 10g. I have yet to even get the tank in order. Gonna do that tomorrow, if I get the chance.

I was just wondering if you used all tap water and not a mix or straight RO water. Thanks! :)

Have fun planting! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.