The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 3 main shrimp tanks, and 5 different kinds of shrimp.

Tank 1, CBS/CRS, Netlea soil, pH 6.4, topped and wc with tap water mixed with distilled water, about 5 berried CRS, 16 total shrimp, aquaclear 300 and jumbo sponge filter, 7.5 gal tank, moderately planted, lots of moss.

Tank 2, Yellow shrimp/tiger shrimp, fluval shrimp soil, pH 6.6, topped off and wc with tap water mixed with distilled water, 3 male tigers, 8 yellow shrimp, just got them so no berried yet, aquaclear 20 and sponge filter, 5.5gal tank, moderately planted, lots of moss.

Tank 3, Split into 3 sections. Section 1, snowball shrimp, all juvies, just got them. Section 3, about 20 RCS, 6 berried, 2 just gave birth, babies of all sizes swimming around, more saddled. Eco-complete soil, 7.6 pH, topped with tap water only, Rena xp1 as main filter + 3 sponge filters in each section. Moderately planted, lots of moss. Section 2 is empty. Tank is a 20 gal long.

This is my dilemma. I want to move the yellows or tigers to section 2 of the 20 gal long, but I don't know who. Yellows are neos and related to cherries, and since the cherries are breeding great now, I figure the yellows would like that tank as will the snowballs. They are doing fine in the 5.5gal though right now as they handle a large pH range. The tigers have been in the 5.5gal for a few months and doing fine, but with only males, no breeding. I am getting some female tigers, so I have to decide if I should move them to the 7.6pH 20gal long and leave the yellows in the 5.5gal 6.6pH tank, or vice versa? I know cherries/yellows can take a larger pH range, so the yellows should do fine in either tank. Its the tigers that I'm not sure if they would like the 6.6pH or 7.6pH. Conflicting sites say they do fine from 6.4-7.6, other say 7.2-7.6 is their best range.

Now I am using the tank dividers on the 20gal long that have the small holes in them, in which a newborn could possibly make it through, so I was think if I had snowballs, tigers, then cherries, with tigers in the middle, less chance of any babies getting through 2 sides and being easy to spot in the tiger portion. With 3 neo species in the 20gal long, then a snowball baby could make it to the yellow side or vice versa, or a red to yellow or vice versa. Granted the holes are small enough that even at a week old, a baby couldn't probably get through, but if one did, and hid for a while, it could mate and introduce a color on the wrong side. lol. With tigers in the middle, the chance of it making it to the other side are slimmer and then there is only 2 neo species at opposite ends.

I guess the biggest factor is, which side is right about the tigers for pH. They are just normal black stripped tigers. I have 6.6, or 7.6 pH for them. Since the cherries are doing fine, I figure the yellows and snowballs will too.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I am going to make the 3 division in a little while in the tank and get the filters setup and everything, so any suggestions on who should go where, would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have no useful info to contribute but a few of the more mature Tigers that I recently purchased molted and I have to say, wow, plain tigers can be pretty darn good looking.

BTW, how are your baby cherries doing? Didn't you just have your first ones?

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
I would say the tigers, but they need the lower end of hte pH scale you listed. Reason I say this is because of your dividers. Having 3 neo types with the possibility of baby shrimp moving from section to section, is going to mean you will have a full tank of wild types very quickly.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no useful info to contribute but a few of the more mature Tigers that I recently purchased molted and I have to say, wow, plain tigers can be pretty darn good looking.

BTW, how are your baby cherries doing? Didn't you just have your first ones?
They're doing good, saw about 15 today, some of them are already getting a nice red and still barely big enough to see, so I'm hoping they are going to be a nice fire red.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.