The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old purple lights when mixed with daylights gave great color to fish and plants and lush growth in the low tech days. I can't find those purple lights anywhere. I ordered "gro lux" 3 months ago...and was ripped off to find it was those ugly red/orange lights.
I see also that many of the best growers are going back to fluorescents as best value per dollar spent.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
The old purple lights when mixed with daylights gave great color to fish and plants and lush growth in the low tech days. I can't find those purple lights anywhere. I ordered "gro lux" 3 months ago...and was ripped off to find it was those ugly red/orange lights.
I see also that many of the best growers are going back to fluorescents as best value per dollar spent.
A seach didn't really find a Penn-plax Gro lux
Seach led mostly to these:

Hard to tell how pink vs purple it is.
Also there seems to be 2 types of gro-lux bulbs. One "orangy" one the magenta one.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Keep in mind there was a shift in phosphors between old t12's and newer t5,8's and now in t12s (opinion on the t12s)

As to the Sylvania gro lux also seems to be a "standard" and "wide" spectrum.

As to returning to fluorescents in aquariums there may be a small wave (personally doubt it) but industry may not follow.
You are at the mercy of the horticulture industry really.

What SIZE/Form Factor are you looking for?

Now that said, a "purple" type bulb may suit you..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks- thats it and also the fake I was sent. I never would have guessed they sell two different bulbs under the same name. At least now I will look for the registered icon for the purple.
Did you find a seller of the HO28?
I remember them as giving great results even though they are not as bright to the eye...but using the purple lights brought out very nice growth and no brown or black algaes in shallow aquariums. LED's seem to be weed algae's best friend.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Thanks- thats it and also the fake I was sent. I never would have guessed they sell two different bulbs under the same name. At least now I will look for the registered icon for the purple.
Did you find a seller of the HO28?
I remember them as giving great results even though they are not as bright to the eye...but using the purple lights brought out very nice growth and no brown or black algaes in shallow aquariums. LED's seem to be weed algae's best friend.
First the 2 types are "wide spectrum" @ 3500-ish K

Sylvania 24671 F40/Gro/Aq/Ws/Rp 40 watt 48 Inches

and the not wide spectrum (no k rating).

24660 is the "pink-purple" one.
F40T12/GRO/AQ/RP.

Best guess... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts