The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this(Mods move if nesessary). But who is old enough to remember Aquarium stock FS on Warren st in Manhattan? My father used to take us there when we were kids, it was huge! It ran from one street to the next. I don't know how to post a link but if you goggle Modern Aquarium November 2011 they did a nice right up about it. Too bad they are still not around today.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont recall Aquarium Stock, but there are a few shops i wish were still around. Crystal Aquarium on 93rd St. And 3rd. Ave was a young fishkeepers heaven, rows upon rows of quality livestock. There was another huge store on 23rd street on the east side that also had beautiful quality fish. They had a huge saltwater and reef section also. My favorite shop by far was Trailers Tropicals on Gun Hill Road in the Bronx. This was a little hole in the wall mom and pop store, but this is where i became a fishkeeper. Would go there for a few hours after school everyday and learned everything i could from the owner John. I would catch garter snakes back then and trade them in for fish. Eventually i started asking for more exotic stuff and John asked me if i wanted to go with him to the wholesalers place and i could pick out my own fish. Thats all it took, i've been addicted ever since. Wish these stores were still around.

Ruben
Crystal was great too! 93rd and 3rd right on the corner.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow! I can’t believe after all these years of starting the thread I’m just seeing these responses now. WTH.
Aqua Stock was great place ,unfortunately there are only a handful of good aquarium shops left in NYC. My favorite for several years has been Pacific Pet and Aquarium on Delancy St.
Good size shop with a good variety and extremely help and courteous staff.
As Ruben had mentioned earlier in the
thread Trailer’s on Gunhill Rd in the Bronx was cool place. It was like an antique shop combined with an aquarium store. I’m still friends with John’s wife and daughter. Great people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts