The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking to jump back to breed fancy guppy. I just wonder what people got right now here? Let show your guppies

·
Registered
782 Posts
No, Master503, but I have been getting almost albino from my latest strain, Cherry Vanillas.
They are very large, almost entirely golden white, some with red/orangy markings and faint leopard markings on the bodies of the males. The females have a iridescent pale blue spot on the center of the tail. Although most have pale blue eyes, none have been red or pink.
Yet.

:) Stef*

·
Registered
182 Posts
Something I'm currently working on.

This is the f1 and I can't wait to see how the fry will turn out!

My wanderful cellphone pic doesn't do the fish much justice.

917 Posts
Yeah! I'll never stop breeding guppies, likely until I die. It'll always be a fun thing to do!

I bought these recently now that I'm getting back into freshwater and so far I have 10 fry...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What kind of flow to you guys have in your guppy tanks?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have them in low tech tanks with sponge filters to high tech with CO2 and power heads, and everything in between.
Have to be careful of the power heads as it can damage long finnage if they don't have an area to chill out, or if it's on all the time.
Nets + Fancy Guppies = a No No also. I use a clear plastic square cup.

-Stef*

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i want to get a pretty green guppy. i have an idea in my head but still working on my blue nebula line so dont have time/room to start working on it. one of my all time favs are medusa galaxy

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What are some breeders you guys recommend? I'm looking to get some Hawaiian blue guppies one of these days.

917 Posts
I have them in low tech tanks with sponge filters to high tech with CO2 and power heads, and everything in between.
Have to be careful of the power heads as it can damage long finnage if they don't have an area to chill out, or if it's on all the time.
Nets + Fancy Guppies = a No No also. I use a clear plastic square cup.

-Stef*
Curious -- do guppies like dirt water as long as the tank is heavily planted and there isn't an ammonia/nitrate/whatever problem? Just lots of debris and nutrients or whatever?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Curious -- do guppies like dirt water as long as the tank is heavily planted and there isn't an ammonia/nitrate/whatever problem? Just lots of debris and nutrients or whatever?
I don't have any dirted tanks, but...have raised guppies in dirt-bottomed outside ponds before, so I don't see why you couldn't, if all the parameters are ideal.
Good, old fashioned fancy guppies are a lot like minnows.

I would be careful fooling around with any of the dainty imports, though.
They don't seem to be as hardy and a bit more touchy.
Their spawns don't seem to be as large either.

-Stef*

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Do I count? I don't do the hard core selective breeding but do have a variety of guppies (a 55 assorted - including some endlers, 26g of tiger endlers, a 35g of common guppies, a 20h of panda guppies, a couple kinds in another 20h.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't really go crazy on the selective breeding either. I just pull out the ones that don't have "the look" and give them to my lfs. It's funny though because now 90% of their guppies are either mine or the offspring of mine :p

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
count me in. im all about halfmoon tails so mosaics are my main line at the moment. about to try some wild crosses for color and keep finnage but im trying to be low maintenance about it and just let them breed how they want in my 29gal

·
Registered
778 Posts
What are some breeders you guys recommend? I'm looking to get some Hawaiian blue guppies one of these days.
Did you ever end up getting any of these? I recently just took my first run at fancy guppies (they came in the mail today lol) and went with Hawaiian blues myself. Its my favorite color :D They are from Luke Roebucks (did not buy them from him directly) line apparently, although i dont know much about the different guppy breeders and what not, just care about pretty fish. And i love the fish i got :thumbsup: l have kept guppies in the past, but just chain LFS guppies when i was a kid. These guys n gals are much more stunning. This is my first go at higher quality guppies so i'm hoping it goes well. Anywho, if your still thinking about getting some, you wont be disappointed!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts