The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if there were any other Jeep owners on this forum.

I own a 2001 TJ with a 2" BB, RS6000 shocks, 31" tires on black steelies

Next up is a 3" full suspension lift, 33" tires, and armor

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeeps are stupid....
and why is that? because you dont own one? or because you have no idea what your talking about? i vote the latter

Building my Jeep is one of my other hobbies and have been doing so for a long time. I get great joy out of it, as do I get great joy from this hobby of planted aquaria among others.

It is amazing the people that come out of the woodwork to bash other people.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have a 2000 tj. still a shorty. but a 4-6in skyjacker is in the near future. the end height will depend on my garage door!

other hobbies to empty my pockets:

66 mustang
reef tank
woodworking shop
rc cars/trucks/helicopter
slotcars
remodeling our house (to accommodate more tanks and better tv!)
hunting

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
jeeps are stupid....
Then you have never driven on the Rubicon trail. Get out of the house Mon! :)

I have not had the chance to build one yet. My family and friends always have an extra seat if I want to go so no need just yet. Gotta get one pf the kids college in a couple of years. I hear Rex again.

My mom found a sweet TJ setup for the trail already, 6" Axel under lift with Detroit soft lock differentials plus it's fuel injected so no starvation at crazy angles... About the only item needed at this point is a wench. I may pick this up for her next Christmas.

Have fun with it! Be safe and keep your paws in the cab!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
haha..you are in for a surprise. heres why i think jeeps are stupid...

built this truck from the ground up. i dont like jeeps because EVERYONE has one and thinks they are the best thing ever for wheelin. well not always the case. its alot about the driver and the rig. you cant argue that a stock jeep will make it as far as my truck. and my truck wont make it as far as my friends dads jeep that was D60's, 42" iroks and a 350. i dont have the clearance or the power. its all about your personal tastes, but if you think i know nothing...well then i dunno...haha.

and no i havent made it that far west to wheel the rubicon trail. i mostly hang out in the midwest and do the trails we have around here. the badlands park in attica is one fun place. gonna try and make it to the new park hannibal rocks this summer, and maybe cliffs in IL.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Agreed a trail rig and your truck are apples and oranges.

Nice truck BTW...

I look at vehicles like shoes. Each type is built for a specific propose.

Going up to the Rubicon is a huge treat when I get to go. But to build a rig to handle some of it's worst you almost have to expect crap to get torn up. Part of the challenge. Most of the di hards not only have roll cage but it extends around the body to protect against that inevitable roll over when pushing it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
oh i expect to tear the crap out of it this summer. its not a DD anymore and i have a tow rig. so its gonna be some custom woodland body work. hopefully next summer im gonna tear it down and rebuilt it. i want new axles under it. prolley full width 1 tons and 37"s. i dont think i'll do an exo cage, i dont mind sheet metal getting smashed or dented or sratched...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My moms neighbor is finishing his D60 project on his jeep, leaving them full length. I need to see how he's coming along next trip to Forrest Hill.
It should look pretty nasty.

Not sure how MO troopers treat you with exposed big tires but here it's cause for a fix it ticket. To be paid of course since there is no way one would swap back for a sign off... But of course I've seen crazier things happen.

Once you take it to an extreme it's almost time to trailer it to the trail, kind of counter productive IMO. But again all depends on the local authorities.

Edit: Doh! Your intending to trailer it... Sorry!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
yeah they dont like wide axles and huge trucks much. unless they are 3/4 ton or larger. but the ticket for being over is only 30 bucks or a fix it. most of the time cops have better things around here to deal with. right now that truck is at/over the limit for the weight. havent gotten pulled over once.

and yes, it will get trailered places, just so i can have fun with it and not worry if it breaks how do i get it home? its going to be such a nice feeling to unload it and go to town.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good move mon. If work allows me to go to STL for training this year I'll look you up to check it out. K?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha..you are in for a surprise. heres why i think jeeps are stupid...

built this truck from the ground up. i dont like jeeps because EVERYONE has one and thinks they are the best thing ever for wheelin. well not always the case.
You are more than entitled to your opinion, but your truck isnt any better than my Jeep for what I use it for. It is a nice truck tho :biggrin:

I would say that you would do much better on certain types of terrain; but one you try to manuever through and over piles of rocks, you'd be stuck on your tranny begging for a tug from a jeep :hihi:

i like your truck, but dont jump onboard to bash a jeep. no reason for it.

come to PA and we can go wheelin'!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
:) All depends on what your doing so you can pick the right shoes. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You are more than entitled to your opinion, but your truck isnt any better than my Jeep for what I use it for. It is a nice truck tho :biggrin:

I would say that you would do much better on certain types of terrain; but one you try to manuever through and over piles of rocks, you'd be stuck on your tranny begging for a tug from a jeep :hihi:

i like your truck, but dont jump onboard to bash a jeep. no reason for it.

come to PA and we can go wheelin'!
its all in good fun. i really dont have a huge problem with them. Just seems that everyone has one and its the same thing over and over again, the body color just changes. haha. and i dunno...the belly of that truck is tucked way up under it.

PA would be sweet to go to but it sucks cause they closed Paragon!! but there are some rumors going around that the guy has found some new land and is going to open a new park. so i might just make it there.

And that is AWESOME that someone is out there haing fun in a new FJ. i love those things..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is mine, I haven't owned a jeep yet, have had most other things though..

42"s and mogs, etc..

Oh yeah, post wheeling shots, driveway photos don't count.. :biggrin:

Some other things I have built and wheeled:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts