The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
You can buy it on German e-bay if you want....the shipping is a lot but there is one guy that will send it to the USA.

In my opinion this is not necessary if you use an airstone or place a spray bar that breaks the surface....same effect as the oxydator.

Here is the way I do it with a spray bar...it actually creates too many bubbles for my liking.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Go to e-bay and type in this item number in the search.... 310394529482

Not too long ago I did a ton of research on this and came to the conclusion that it's not worth it. I think you also need to refill it with hydrogen peroxide fairly frequently.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Seems to be one of those things some swear by, yet 99% of breeders don't seem to use them. Some people dose every Mosura or BW or whatever product under the sun, some don't use anything.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to know how much oxygen dose that thing releases, air we breathe has only around 20.95 oxygen so that is what we pump in with air stone, plus 78.08% nitrogen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gases, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I would like to know how much oxygen dose that thing releases, air we breathe has only around 20.95 oxygen so that is what we pump in with air stone, plus 78.08% nitrogen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gases, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor.
You can buy O2 tests for aquariums, about the only way to truly now. Setup two tanks with the same water, same surface agitation and add the oxygenator thing and see if there is a huge difference or not.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am using it, but cant tell you if it is really making a difference. Also have 2 sponge filters in the same tank
I do have the peace of mind that if the power goes out the water will still have plenty of O2. Since I have it in my tank with BB and tibees, its worth the $30.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using it, but cant tell you if it is really making a difference. Also have 2 sponge filters in the same tank
I do have the peace of mind that if the power goes out the water will still have plenty of O2. Since I have it in my tank with BB and tibees, its worth the $30.
How often do you need to refill the thing and what size do you have

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the mini with one catalyst in it. I fill it about every 4 weeks, using the concentration that was sent with it. Also the temp of the water will affect the rate of the reaction. I think its on the website someone already posted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I keep visualizing one of those old black and white WW2 movies where one of the Nazis runs into the commandant's office and says, "Actung! Vo is der Söchting Oxydator?" Macht sneil. Wei habben der shrimpfun nix ver poken."

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
If you're using the oxydator, you wouldn't want to have surface agitation, it would gas off the oxygen.

Maximum dissolv d oxygen in water at 70 degrees is around 8 mg/L, which is not a lot. Less than the atmospheric air we breath. ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Liam, this is the answer I was looking for. So not too many people have it b/c it all it does is take up room on the bottom of the tank:icon_bigg

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
It may do something besides increase dissolved oxygen, such as leak small amounts of peroxide and keep the bacteria load down. Either way, as soon as you change oxygen levels like that, it's another parameter that your shrimp will be accustomed to. Meaning your shrimp may rely on that oxydator and if you ever end up selling them, they may not survive too well in your buyers aquarium.

That's hypothetical of course, but highly likely as well.

I figure the less gadgets in your tank the better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.