The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
I just put some cryptocornes and amazon swords in my tank (3 days ago) and they have what look like big bites taken out of them. I'm assuming someone is eating them. If that's the case, my tank inhabitants are: 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 pearl gouramis, 5 juli cory cats, several black neon tetras and several celestial pearl danios. Who, or what, is the culprit?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe the bristlenose rasping away.

3 days though? Your crypts should be melting right about now unless they're still in pots or something. A good part of your crypts will melt and spend the next couple months recovering.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have seen (in my own tank) gouramis eat plants. What do the leaves look like? The gouramis and plecos have very different mouths so depending on what the "bite marks" look like might help determine who is doing the damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with y'all. I think it was the pleco, mainly because I watch that tank a lot during the day and I've never seen anyone munching. And the bites were quite big. After a big battle chasing the pleco around the heavily planted tank yesterday, I finally got him and removed him to my quarantine tank. Interestingly, all my fishes are out and about this morning....they're usually hiding (except the gouramis) But they're all over the tank now. So I'm wondering if the pleco was a nighttime bully.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know.....my tank is pretty stable and doesn't have much algae. I do put in algae wafers at night regularly, but it's possible that with all of my fishes, the BN didn't get much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts