The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this is the main reason that after a year and a half it has begun dusting my plants to a level which I cannot (and my plants) take any more. A week ago I sucked out 2/3 of the existing substrate and dumped in new AS I. This is also an occurrence in my mini-m at work too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe he is referring to it breaking down and crumbling. Everytime he pulls up plants, it comes apart and released big clouds of aquasoil dust.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
High pH doesn't mean hard water... right?

Anyhow, our water here is hard ( high GH and KH), and I used ADA AS I for about a year, and never had problems with it breaking down and getting dust on plants. I also don't replant very often. I think that stuff really varies a lot batch to batch.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I think that's just AS. I'm using AS in my tanks now over eco-complete and the eco did not cloud half as bad as AS. I suggest if you have to replant stems, cut the stem at the substrate level and leave the roots. It'll just turn into mulm anyway that your weekly WC's should take care of. At least that's what I'm doing.

I've got liquid rock from the tap as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts