The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have already seen Black neon tetra look like a very underrated schooling fish. They don't seem to be as popular as neons, rummynose, and cardinals, yet they look like a really solid fish.

Who has these guys? What do you like/dislike about them?

·
Registered
948 Posts
i have two of these fish. i consider them the black version of the cardinal tetra as they are as big and look exactly like a cardinal except with a black stripe. they are beautiful and behave similarly to other schooling tetra

- thefisherman

·
Registered
89 Posts
I originally brought 20 of these, but only 14 survived. What I like about them is that they school together like many other tetras and they have nice solid colors... the only thing is that it is hard to see them on a dark gray background when they don't school together as they don't stand out much.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've had a school of about a dozen for quite a while. I like them as they show up almost as well as neon tetras, in my tank. Possibly not as well in yours.
About every other year, planning in advance, I keep one or several quarantine tanks ready for the Petsmart $1.00 and 5/$4.00 sales and clean them out of tetras. Quarantine for two months, then in to the big tank.

The "new to me" golden neon tetra looks interesting too.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have about 40 of them in the 180 gallon tank. Same size as cardinals? These look tiny to me, smaller than a couple of the otos. Very hardy fish. One has a deformed mouth and is doing just fine. Lost some platies to H2O2 poisoning, didn't phase the BNT a bit.

Anywho, had them for a couple years and they have spawned and a baby raised in the sump, big points for that!

They are not thrilled about the huge Congo tetras sharing the tank and nearly stopped schooling. Before the Congos they mostly hung out in small shoals and a couple times a day one would get the others together to go for big swoops back and forth across the tank. It was something to see. Now the most that get together are half a dozen.

I like the sharp arrangement of colors and the green line shows up very nicely with my light but the orange eye doesn't with the bulb I am using now.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have two of these fish. i consider them the black version of the cardinal tetra as they are as big and look exactly like a cardinal except with a black stripe. they are beautiful and behave similarly to other schooling tetra

- thefisherman
Thats good because I was kind of looking for an alternative to cardinals/neons

I have about 40 of them in the 180 gallon tank. Same size as cardinals? These look tiny to me, smaller than a couple of the otos. Very hardy fish. One has a deformed mouth and is doing just fine. Lost some platies to H2O2 poisoning, didn't phase the BNT a bit.

Anywho, had them for a couple years and they have spawned and a baby raised in the sump, big points for that!

They are not thrilled about the huge Congo tetras sharing the tank and nearly stopped schooling. Before the Congos they mostly hung out in small shoals and a couple times a day one would get the others together to go for big swoops back and forth across the tank. It was something to see. Now the most that get together are half a dozen.

I like the sharp arrangement of colors and the green line shows up very nicely with my light but the orange eye doesn't with the bulb I am using now.
Its good that they schooled for you good at first. Wouldn't the congos make them school more?

I used them in my Meander layout. They are very nice. My only complaint is they are a little lazy...not exactly active;)

jB
What a great tank. Its okay that the black neons are a little lazy they are only going in a 26g. Hopefully they school good

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine are tough as nails. I don't like the look of them as much though. They're beautiful, but I'm just not into the black/white yellow/red coloration. Mine are also quite large, 1.5" and bigger. I prefer tinier tetras than that.

Have you seen the "gold neon tetras?" I love the look of those, they are so pretty. I'll try those next if I can find good stock.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Jumpers!!! I've never had any fish jump from my tanks except these. I found one dried up in the back of the couch, picked one off the table, and rescued one from the floor. I rehomed them before they all decided to ditch the tank.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Very hardy fish.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Very hardy fish.

So hardy they can survive after eating a teaspoon of gravel.LOL
OVT is right though they are a very nice hardy tetra that has beautiful colors that are often overlooked. Definitely keep them in as large of a school as you can just like with most tetras.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Tough, cute, and well-behaved. And they school well. Great fish. The more the better...

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have eight among other tetras, angels, and catfish. They seem to disappear when not schooling. Very attractive fish though, especially when the light catches them just right.
Ya i noticed that they seem to look different and even have a blue hue on the white stripe. Very cool

1 - 20 of 25 Posts