The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Looking to add some Odessa Barbs or Tiger Barbs to my planted tank which has co2 and ferts. I've had these fish in the past but they were not in planted tanks.

1. Do they fare well in planted tanks with all the fertilizers?
2. Do they eat plants? (my Rosy Barbs ate my moss once).

Thanks.

Random images to show their potential :proud:

·
Registered
625 Posts
i used to have tiger barbs. they never bothered my plants and seemed to do ok with ferts.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Neither of the two ever ate my plants. If you haven't done so already, do read up on Tiger Barbs - they can be pretty mean.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neither of the two ever ate my plants. If you haven't done so already, do read up on Tiger Barbs - they can be pretty mean.
I was only going to keep one species of fish since my Tiger Barbs pretty much killed my angels and guppies.

So it's going to be either Odessa or Tigers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Tiger Barbs can be unpredictable. I keep reading horror stories about them even though my shaol of 4 tigers are pretty docile. Never touched any plants and have great personality.

I currently have them with some touchy fish; a paradise fish, glass catfish, bamboo shrimps, and x-ray tetras. They did kill and eat 6 small harlequin rasboras and half a dozen ghost shrimp with gusto. I guess they were too small.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had golb barbs in a 20 gallons, when they reached 5cm troubles began. They destroyed my cabomba forest with their races and if I did not give them flakes 2 times a day, they were eating my other soft plants.

Finally I had to give them. Later I learned they can grow up to 8cm and are not suited for a 20 gallons tank.

Michel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.