The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got 8 rcs and I would like for them to breed and make a colony. I have a wonderful young female crowntail betta that prolly would love to eat my shrimp.

I have set up a temporary tank that's a critter keeper thing I added java moss and a home made air powered filter. Put a thermometer in there to closely monitor temps and if need be I have a ~10w heater to use.

My ten gallon planted tank has a hob filter and a diy crappy airstone co2, but shows results with it. And a preset heater 78F. I add aqueon plant food (it's the only one that has calcium and i have snails and no copper)

What would be the better environment for the shrimp to breed best in. I'm pretty sure my betta can live in ether one for a little while no problem. Till there is enough shrimp I can add them all together and if she eats a few oh well.

<<<TLDR?>>>
What tank in the pics below are better for breeding rcs? 10 gal or critter keeper?

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have a thriving colony (so far) of CRS and PFR in a 2.5 Critter Keeper, no heater, sponge filter, hand cut acrylic lid, plenty of mosses, dried banana leaves, plants and gravel like yours.

I will upgrade as they multiple, but for now they are doing (as Clark Kent says) swell!
I am in Louisiana; our temps and banana leaves are similar :)

As Soothing states, the 10 gallon is not a real deal during that sale.
I would keep my eye out for a larger size tank in the future, and get your feet wet with what you got, for now.
Thrift stores and yard sales are good to hit in the Spring, too, for aquariums/bowls/tanks.

-Stef*

·
Registered
64 Posts
My vote is shrimp in the critter keeper, temporarily. I'd be wary of shrimp in the DIY CO2 tank, and bet they'd do just fine in the smaller space.

Is it a DIY sponge filter type?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.

yes its a simple filter I made. I got the idea from the fish food container diy filter. I drew a pic of what it basically is.

I also did things bass ackwards and have the betta in the critter keeper. But I did things to hopefully make the 10 gallon safer for the shrimp. I put a sponge over the intake tube of my hob filter and added a air pump/stone to a timer that comes on at night.

I'm sure 1 female rcs is preggers right now. Should I Just leave her be?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Isn't there a thread on here about a betta that the owner added a bunch of shrimp I think it was 6-10, and the betta ate every single one. Then died from bloat? I would be wary of putting any shrimp with bettas. Best test her with Cheap ghost shrimp 1, so if she does eat him. Its one shrimp and she won't most likely die of bloat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.