The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just noticed several white worms floating in the water column. It looks like dust particle at first but then when you look closely it looks like a worm and the squiggle around sometimes. They did not actively swim like a snake but rather let the current take them and sometimes squiggled from the "head" and "toe".
I might be just imagining things but I looked at if very closely and kinda looked like leeches. I'm fearing it is leeches because a month ago I found one leech while washing my new jungle vals but then never saw any more of those afterwards until today when I saw these little worms.

Any idea on what this is?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is your tank shrimp only? I see a few shrimp specialty stores sell worm traps/etc, apparently without fish if you have worms nothing will eat them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sound like detritus worms. Harmless. If they are threadlike, float around and then squirm about like they have been electrified, and then float around again, detritus worms. Normal part of an aquarium. They like to hang out in the substrate and eat organic material.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it is not a shrimp only tank. I am just scared because I know I found a leech like worm when I was cleaning my vals. But it could have been Planaria too but I don't know how planaria moves. It sure did move like leech when I saw it.

What do leech larvae look like? do they float in water column?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I second the detritus worm. Caused by overfeeding and totally harmless. Most small fish like tetras love to eat them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts