The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I got 10 new neo's in yesterday, and just today noticed this worm on the side of one. It is right on the side of the carapace, above the shrimp's legs. It is best seen in the first part of the video. I apologize about the quality, very hard to get my phone to focus on something so small. You can see one end is attached to the shrimp, right where it can't reach to clean itself, and the other end is feeling around the shrimp.

I have searched tons on Google, and can't find something specifically like this. Planaria don't seem to attach to shrimp like this from what I have seen. It doesn't appear to be vorticella, or scutariella japonica.

Anyone have an idea? Have you seen something like this before, and if so, how did you treat it?

It doesn't seem to bother the shrimp, but there is no way to know. The shrimp is more active than the other ones, so potentially it's trying to swim and get the parasite off.

These are the first shrimp in this tank, prior to them there was only a single betta.

Link is here.

I've since found a second shrimp with a worm on it as well. It seems like the worm is attached to the shrimp, but feeling for food with it's loose end. I cannot find anything online about something specifically attached to shrimp, that is larger than scutariella japonica.

Bump: Here is a second video, not sure if it is much better.

Got another video, a bit better towards the end.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A salt bath is pretty easy to do and makes some of those parasites (Scutariella japonica) drop right off. It won't do much to any eggs in the carapace but it will get rid of the ones on the exterior. it's recommended to clean up any molts for a while after you dip them. The eggs will stay on the molt, so you want to get rid of it before any other shrimp get to the molt. I do about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to 1 cup of water. I drop mine in there for about 30-45 seconds and doesn't seem to harm them any.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts