The Planted Tank Forum banner

white spots NOT on fish?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  xlakebodomx 
#1 ·
  1. My first thread on here, I just knew i would have problems. I just set up 46 gal bow about 10 ten days ago, so no doubt NTS is upon me but i have began noticing some white spots on for lack of a better word - the drift wood i collected locally at the beach here in DE. i boiled some but couldnt fit some pieces in conventional pots so i just soaked it in a 5 gallon bucket for about a week in some anti-fungal natural medication and then scrubed with a coarse brush. Even more odd they are spreading to the Cabomba plants as well, as I tried to post pictures the site wont allow till i have a minimal of 5 threads. kinda beat but Ill try to attach them if anyone has seen or heard of this it is a first for me. Incidentally I have needed to treat a black molly in a series salt bath for ick, doing great now. I may try to boil the wood or whatever but the plants, for obvious reasons, arent getting boiled :) This site and ppl have been a great help! thanks!
Justin

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
AzFishKid has it on the spot. New driftwood often gets a mild case of fungus. While it looks unsightly, it does not seem to be harmful. You can scrub and boil the driftwood if you wish, but more likely than not, it will come back.

#6 ·
yeah i really have no idea. Probably should have had better lesson in wood. I know I soaked it for about a week and changed the water also adding natural anti-fungal treatment too. Strange, anyway i had started getting so much algae and it started just consuming everything so i tore it all down and gotta start over on a third time, i really dont know what i am doing wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.