The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an outbreak of whitespot maybe 3 days or so ago. ordered some protozin and only today realised that it will kill off my shrimps so luckily cancelled order and saved shrimp.

So my problem remains on how best to go about this. have been reading up on various internet pages tonight but I just wanted your views taking into consideration what species I have in my tank.

Fish: cardinal tetra
Inverts: bamboo and amano shrimp
plants: Nymphoides, Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Myriophyllum mattogrossense, Anubia barteri, Microsorum pteropus, Ludwigia glandulosa, Hemianthus callitrichoides

So my options:
- Increase the temp and add some salt. Would be safe for my shrimp but what about the plants??
- Increase temperature alone, would this be enough? (this is if salt is not good for the plants I have)
- Take fish out and into separate tank, treat with meds and return them. Dont really fancy this option, would have to go and buy a separate tank and all the bits, and leave them in QT long enough so cysts in DT all die
- Take out shrimp (would be an absolute nightmare as tank is heavily planted) treat with meds and return shrimp. Dont want to do this as meds may linger in tank a long time.

So really I only have the first couple options as viable ones. Unless there are other methods?
And if salt is okay for plants, what dosage? My tank is 54 litres.
And what sort of treatment, water change schedule do you recommend for the best method of getting rid of this pain of a white spot outbreak.

Thank you so much in advance, I realise I have many questions.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Here are a few ideas:

Ultra Violet will kill Ich. But getting ALL the water through the UV sterilizer will be difficult with a densely planted tank. You can use UV with heat and with salt, but not with most other medicines.

Salt will kill Ich, but the dose is hard on the plants. You could heavily trim and plan on replanting the tank with the trimmings after the salt has been cleared. The dose for delicate fish (Cardinals) is 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, which translates as 32.5 grams of salt per 4 liters of water.
Day 1) Vacuum really thoroughly (remove Ich from the floor of the tank) and add 1/3 of the salt by dissolving it in water and pouring it in over several hours. Raise the tank temperature a few degrees.
Day 2) Repeat.
Day 3) Repeat.
By now the tank temperature should be over 30*C, and the full dose of salt is in there.
Day 4 and beyond: Vacuum the floor of the tank every other day. Add salt to the replacement water according to the same recipe: 32 grams/4 liters.
Maintain the treatment until 3 days past the day you saw the last Ich spot on any of the fish.

If there is any way to catch the fish and treat them separately I would do that, even if it means buying another tank and simple set up. As simple as a sponge filter, bare bottom tank, heater, light.
Trim the plants from the original tank and let them drift in the hospital tank. This will give the fish some security.
You will be able to better see all the fish and better track the treatment and how it is working.
You will be able to vacuum the floor of the tank and be sure you are getting all the Ich that falls off the fish.
The UV will work a lot better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I quarantine the fish, how long before all the white spot clears out of the display tank?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have used product quick cure at half dose with no ill effect's on cherry shrimp,plant's fishes . I followed direction's for treating tetra's which suggested half dose.
Product was found at walmart.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont live in America, I live in Denmark and all fish meds are banned here so I have to get it all online. The only thing I can probably get is aquarium salt. I just wanted to know if that would harm the plants I have??

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I dont live in America, I live in Denmark and all fish meds are banned here so I have to get it all online. The only thing I can probably get is aquarium salt. I just wanted to know if that would harm the plants I have??

Well, most suggest one tablespoon of salt per five gal, but considering livestock ,plant's,I might consider one tablespoon per 10 gal for treatment along with heat and extra aeration.
At concentration mentioned,I do not think plant's would die off but they may.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts