The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a white, slimy substance starting to collect on the rubbery parts of my heater. I don't see the substance anywhere else. Do you have any idea what it might be? The heater is a pet store brand's model, and the top and bottom of the glass tube have rubber "caps" with horizontal ribs in them. It looks the same as the top part of an Aqueon heater (not sure if it's the same material). I'm considering exchanging it for an Aqueon, but am not sure if this happens with those too. I called the store, and this is the first they've heard of it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yup, very common. You could try soaking the rubber part in some salt water. Just washing under the tap never seems to get it all off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, very common. You could try soaking the rubber part in some salt water. Just washing under the tap never seems to get it all off.
I'll have to try that. I have an Aqueon "preset" 50W heater and the bottom rubber bumper is really coated. I washed it off a few weeks ago in the bucket of tank water after a water change but it rapidly returned.

I find it interesting that the top of the heater has no buildup at all, only the bottom rubber.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts