The Planted Tank Forum banner

White fuzzy growth killing carpet plants!

967 4
I just set up my first planted tank: got some seeds on amazon (I believe they are dwarf baby tears but not sure) and they grew quickly to form a nice carpet on the bottom of the tank.

However, a few days ago I started to notice the leaves darken in spots and a white hairy film grow on top of the plants. I cut out the "infected" area, only to see it reappear in a couple of days. Seems to be spreading quickly :(.

What is it / what should I do? Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seeds from amazon are always sketchy. I thought I had glosso seeds and after a few months they turned really stemmy. If it bothers you that much you can try pouring some excel over the fuzz with a dropper or pipette. IMO the mold isn't killing your plants, but feeding on decaying plant matter. If you leave it alone I am fairly sure it'll run its due course and disappear on its own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just set up my first planted tank: got some seeds on amazon (I believe they are dwarf baby tears but not sure) and they grew quickly to form a nice carpet on the bottom of the tank.

However, a few days ago I started to notice the leaves darken in spots and a white hairy film grow on top of the plants. I cut out the "infected" area, only to see it reappear in a couple of days. Seems to be spreading quickly :(.

What is it / what should I do? Any and all help would be much appreciated!
Hie Destern Thank u so much for this.. i really need ur help... please tell me using dry start method i failed once and this is the second time... last time it got some fungus as this... now again i am using dry start method spreaded seeds around sprayed a bit water (used alot water last time) just to keep it humid and covered the whole with plastic wrap with no space for air.. Plz tell me do i need to have holes in the plastic? Do i need to spray on seeds every time when its dry?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.