The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my DW in place in my 20L for weeks now, and in the last week or two, I have noticed that there is a white fuzzy algae growing on it in some places. Can anyone tell me what could be causing this and what harms it could do to the tank? Also, if there is a solution (I have boiled the pieces a couple times after seeing it) to get rid of it, that would be great. Thanks!

Mike

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
My WCMM have picked at it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I had some of that whte fungus on my driftwood, and oddly enough on the suction cups for my heater. My ottos ate it all in a day or two when I introduced them. (Along with every square inch of brown diatom as it was a new tank)

·
Registered
14 Posts
By otos you guys mean otocinclus, right? I thought they were sensitive to changes in water and my tank is still cycling (about two weeks in and supporting a couple guppies). I've tried otos before in a more established tank and they died pretty soon after I got 'em. Sharkfood.... how soon did you add otos to your new tank? Thinking of getting some amanos at the LFS tomorrow and wondering what else I could get.... This fuzz is rapidly engulfing the moss on my wood.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It will go away eventually and won't cause any harm really. It's just unsightly. People do say Otos are sensitive thus drip acclimation is the best. I drip acclimate all my fauna and have never had losses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought 6 amanos and 3 otos at the LFS on Thursday. The shrimp are pretty much going to town and the otos started to nibble at it a bit after a couple days. Two of the otos have since died despite acclimating them for an hour and my water parameters being normal. Did a 1/3 water change today. Hate to admit it but the snails that hitched a ride in on some plants are doing almost as good as the shrimp at clearing the fuzz!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.