The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large piece of driftwood in my tank that has been running for 5 months. I had algae issues as it was becoming established and it seems to have come under control. The other day I removed the wood so I could vacuum everything really good and scrub it down and I had to retie some plants anyways. So I rinsed everything off while it was out. I am assuming that was a bad idea. Two days later there is some white fuzz on it which searching the forums looks like its some kind of fungus. I take it in the future I should not scrub or rinse the driftwood! I guess I just gotta brush it off and hopefully it goes away in a few days. Would adding salt help?

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
You need not add anything; in fact, adding salt is probably detrimental to your fish and your plants and will do nothing to solve the fungus problem.

Give it a week or two, and the fungus will go away on its own. While unsightly, it is not harmful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should get some little Pleco's they are like magic when it comes to eating away at loose debris on driftwood. My guys are always busy keeping my driftwood and tank looking great. They never bother my plants or fish. Try somethingpshishy they have a lot of different types, sizes, colors and price ranges for Pleco's. They have a live chat on their website and I have always had all my questions and concerns answered in real time. They are also a good place for plants, and cheap. My orders have always arrived the next day.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check that site out. I was actually going to get some otos next to take care of any alage growing on the wood or plants. I like them because they are small, and I don't want anything that gets big like a pleco. And I don't really like plecos anyways.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just so I understand why this happened, is it because I removed the wood and washed it with tap water? I know that you are to only wash the filter media with tank water, but I didn't think it would matter with this. Did I kill beneficial bacteria that was on the wood thus allowing the fungus to grow?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just so I understand why this happened, is it because I removed the wood and washed it with tap water? I know that you are to only wash the filter media with tank water, but I didn't think it would matter with this. Did I kill beneficial bacteria that was on the wood thus allowing the fungus to grow?
Sounds right to me!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Same thing happened to me a while back. It looked disgusting, but I let it just do its thing, and slowly it lessened and disappeared. Being patient with ugly things in your tank sucks, but that seems to be an important aspect of this particular hobby. Ah well, it makes it more rewarding in the end, when everything looks clean and pretty and grown in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i just moved the driftwood from my 20 gallon to my 55 gallon. it sat for a few hours in a bucket. now its growing the white stuff as well, hopefully the snails will go for it or the ottos but other wise i will just let it sit and go away.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I do not think the Otos will go for that stuff, but easy does it.
Let it be!
BN might help a little, but don't think they love that stuff also.

What is with the salt, it is not a cure for all, in fact some believe that it should be used sparingly, just like my cardio guy says, easy with the salt.

The believe is, using salt in the tank all the time will diminish the purpose of using it when you need it(resistance).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I do not know if all will agree, but there is no reason to scrub the tank all the time. There is a ballance in the tank that we all hope to keep.
Keep up with the good water quality and all will be OK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.