The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

In the past day or so started seeing a lot of white filmy pieces blowing around the tank. After watching the tank I think they might be blowing in the from the return. Managed snap a pic of some of the smaller chunks to when they snagged on the hair grass. Any ideas what it might be?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
It's probably the film that grows in the filter and gets ejected either when it builds up thicker or when you turn the filter back on after a water change or filter maintenance. How often do you clean the hoses out if using a canister filter?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's probably the film that grows in the filter and gets ejected either when it builds up thicker or when you turn the filter back on after a water change or filter maintenance. How often do you clean the hoses out if using a canister filter?
The tank uses a sump so similar plumbing to a canister. The tank is only two ish weeks old at this point so the lines haven't been cleaned yet.

How often is it necessary to clean the lines? I do have things set up so I can access the lines behind the tank, but it isn't easy to do so. Ideally it would be in the 6 ish month range of longer. On the other hand cleaning the media in the sump is a weekly ish thing.

Edit: I should clarify that I can access the return lines. The pvc drains are nearly impossible to access without moving the tank since they are mounted to the stand

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
It seems odd to see this on a tank only a couple weeks old at least in my experience but I still think it is bio-film buildup that has come loose. Have you tried removing some of it to see how the texture is when rubbed between your fingers? Bio-film usually just disintegrates when rubbed between your fingers.

I usually clean the hoses on my canister filters once or twice a year and use a long bristle tube brush I swiped from work a few years ago.

Clear hoses usually seem to build up bio-film faster because they are exposed to light versus my dark green Eheim hoses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New driftwood, especially spider wood (aka azalea root), puts out surprising amounts of junk. Could be some broke off and circulated through your system?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Do you get a film build up on the surface of the water? For a while I was getting a film on the surface of the water. If I tried to clear it with my hand it would break up and sink and look exactly like yours. Almost look like little scraps of thin, deteriorating plastic.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems odd to see this on a tank only a couple weeks old at least in my experience but I still think it is bio-film buildup that has come loose. Have you tried removing some of it to see how the texture is when rubbed between your fingers? Bio-film usually just disintegrates when rubbed between your fingers.

I usually clean the hoses on my canister filters once or twice a year and use a long bristle tube brush I swiped from work a few years ago.

Clear hoses usually seem to build up bio-film faster because they are exposed to light versus my dark green Eheim hoses.
It seemed early to me as well but my tank seems to cycling at a breakneck pace so maybe I have super bacteria... I have grabbed some and it's so thin that I can't even feel it. It does break up but is surprisingly durable.

New driftwood, especially spider wood (aka azalea root), puts out surprising amounts of junk. Could be some broke off and circulated through your system?
It could be, my wood is starting to grow some of the typical wood biofilm. However, it seems more fuzzy and slimy rather than filmy.

Do you get a film build up on the surface of the water? For a while I was getting a film on the surface of the water. If I tried to clear it with my hand it would break up and sink and look exactly like yours. Almost look like little scraps of thin, deteriorating plastic.
Checked the tank and there is no film on the surface. This doesn't surprise me since the overflow skims the surface. However, there does seem to be a film in the sump since there isn't really any surface movement down there.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
I have seen this on new air lines. Some how they also can adjust to the new water parameters and I have had mulpitle air lines get this build up. Eventually, usually about 1-2 weeks in it will start to flake off. I have snails in all my tanks. I don't know if they clean it up or not but I think that it will stop inside of a month. From my personal experiences anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts