The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 55 gallon tank has this white film on all the glass... not sure what it is? it almost looks like mineral deposits, but it is even under the water and I have never had the water below a certain level since it was filled. I tried scrubbing a little bit this morning before going to work and it seems to comes off with some fairly thorough scrubbing with the brush.

any ideas? at first, after i ruled out the mineral deposits, i thought it was an algae of some sort, but since it's so hard to clean off, i don't think that's the case. the water itself is VERY clear... i just wish i could see it. lol

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its a biological issue, will it eventually take care of itself as the tank cycles? I just noticed it a couple days ago. I have added a dose of Biozyme (yellow canister) and StressZyme (liquid... made by Tetra?) As well as adding 2 CAE's and a pleco a couple days ago. The pleco dies last night and was netted out this morning... still not sure why. It was weird though that he was the first fish I've had to date that died and had a white, almost cotton-like film around him.

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just went in to do the nightly feedings and the gold gourhami died before my own eyes... he was acting a little off this morning, but tonight he was lying on the bottom of the tank... usually he's at the very top. I tried nudging him with the net and he just kinda laid there... he was still breathing, but slower than normal and then would spontaniously "twitch" his way through the tank. The last good jolt of movement he made looked like something got a hold of him and he started swimming fast, but uncontrolably... one CAE is missing (they have been very hard to find since got them, but I have moved everything in the tank to no avail), the pleco died, and now goldilocks... the other fish seem fine (5 black neon tetras, one glo-lite tetra, 3 tiger barbs and one small CAE), but I'm afraid there is a parasite or fungus in the tank... any ideas? Id rather not add any more chemicals if need be, but I'm half tempted to just scrap the tank and start fresh... my original plan was to buy a 10 or 20 gallon tank, move the fish with thecurrent tank's water and filter, then re-build the 55g as a planted tank. Id then just keep the smaller tank and probably make another planted tank down the road.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts? I'm open to all suggestions and welcome any info.

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I wiped the white film with my finger and it's pretty slimy... it looked a lot like the film on the pleco, only not as heavy. I am starting to think that the last batch of fish brought home a stow-away surprise...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Your tank sounds like its just not cycled. whats ur ammo, nitrites and nitrates?
dont use meds, most meds will only kill the beneficial bacteria making the cycle take even longer. Test your water before you go dumping more chemicals in the tank and more $ down the toilet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your tank sounds like its just not cycled. whats ur ammo, nitrites and nitrates?
dont use meds, most meds will only kill the beneficial bacteria making the cycle take even longer. Test your water before you go dumping more chemicals in the tank and more $ down the toilet.
i got some 6-in-1 test strips this weekend...

pH- 7.6'ish
Nitrates are at 0 ppm
Nitrites are less than .5 ppm
Hardness is ~75 ppm GH
Chlorine is at 0
Alkalinity is around 130'ish ppm KH

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those test strips arnt worth the paper they are created on. I wouldnt trust them.
what is a better/the best way to test? I have yet to see a LFS that carries anything that is decent around here. I would love to make a trip into Lincoln one of these days, but until then, i need to make do with what I can get my hands on locally or online.

Later,
Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.