The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My tank has started to produce this weird particulate film on the surface (see picture). If you try and mix it in it just forms white particles within the water. I have to skim it off the surface to remove it. I was wondering if it was something to do with my EI ferts, could my water be supersaturated with them so they are unable to dissolve? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have the same thing from time to time. I've noticed that phosphorus will precipitate into a whitish/grey and attach to biofilm like your picture. Calcium too?

But basically I think it is harmless biofilmy stuff. I use a paper towel, lay it flat over the film to absorb, and pull it off into a ready bucket. If that isn't enough, you'll need to do more water change, and then get more surface movement. I use bubble wands to break the surface.

·
Registered
945 Posts
More water movement at the surface will get rid this. You also can get a surface skimmer for your canister.

Other wise it doesn't seem to have any long term effects on fish or plant health.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I used to run an airstone on a timer for a few hours each night and that did the trick. Some people run the Eheim Skim 350 on a timer instead but I don't see the point of adding another filter if using an airstone will allow your existing filter to do the job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe this is dust from the air, or pollen. It's Spring here! I go through this periodically, and it's worse with my uncovered/slightly covered aquariums, those that have large openings for filter tubes. As suggested, use paper towel to skim the worst of it, a net stuffed with a bit of filter floss helps, too. Using a spray bar and/or air stones seems to rid the film. Once our Spring flowers and trees are done with their pollen release (my blue car is yellow with pollen right now), the dust or pollen should go away. Keeping an air stone running is a good idea anyway. My covered aquariums (glass topped with very small openings in the plastic back shield for filter tubes) have no surface film/dust/pollen on them. I only use a canister filter with extended perforated return. This seems to give enough circulation (a small "boil" of water movement at the surface) to deal with the film on my covered tanks. Good luck. Let us know what worked for you!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used to get this as well. Got an Ista Mini Surface Skimmer to attach to my canister and it keeps it cleared up nicely. Just search ista surface skimmer on amazon and it should pop up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.