The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need help IDing the following echinodorus:

I've been keeping it for about three months now and it's very compact. It was bought as a "Echinodorus Fantastic Color", but since placing it in a tank with higher light it started throwing white leaves. I have other echinodorus thriving in the same tank, so deficiencies are ruled out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know you said the others are doing good but if the only thing you changed was giving it highlight, and they do like higher light, I would imagine then it now needs more nutrients as well whether carbon or other macro and micro nutrients. Have you placed a root tab or anything directly underneath it or adjusted dosing or is the dosing in this tank already accounted for with the higher light? Either way it seems to need more nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you said the others are doing good but if the only thing you changed was giving it highlight, and they do like higher light, I would imagine then it now needs more nutrients as well whether carbon or other macro and micro nutrients. Have you placed a root tab or anything directly underneath it or adjusted dosing or is the dosing in this tank already accounted for with the higher light? Either way it seems to need more nutrients

Yes, I have roots tabs and I dose liquid ferts daily accordingly to plant need (iron, npk, micros). It's been in this tank (high lights) for about 2 months now, at this point.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It may be getting out competed by other plants. It may be just growing a massive root structure and will start to throw nice leaves soon. It may be missing something. I’d double check the levels you’re dosing against a dosing calculator to double check. Rotalabutterfly is a good one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may be getting out competed by other plants. It may be just growing a massive root structure and will start to throw nice leaves soon. It may be missing something. I’d double check the levels you’re dosing against a dosing calculator to double check. Rotalabutterfly is a good one.

Yeah I'm not sure... I don't want to change my fert routine since I already found the sweet spot between thriving plants and no algae. I might just throw it away or give it to someone else haha. Not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Could be one of those situations. I’ve run across many plants where I have a great situation going and trying new plants that sometimes don’t work out with what I’m doing

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd give it more time. See if the leaves change to green as they mature; a lot of swords have significant color differences between new leaves and mature ones. I don't think the sword is deficient so much as it's probably a variety that has pale new leaf growth.

It could be a very young Marble Queen sword. Those often have nearly white young leaves which then become variegated before becoming mostly green when mature, and the effect is more pronounced in higher light (when growing in low light they are mostly all green regardless of age). If it's a Marble Queen, it'll eventually get pretty big, but they're really attractive plants.

There is another variety, I forgot the name, that also has extremely pale new leaves that turn a sunshine yellow as they grow before becoming green. I'm pretty sure that kind is in the Ozelot group, and stays medium size when fully grown.

The only way to know what you have and whether it's unhealthy or just a specific variety is to see what the leaves do as they go through different growth stages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd give it more time. See if the leaves change to green as they mature; a lot of swords have significant color differences between new leaves and mature ones. I don't think the sword is deficient so much as it's probably a variety that has pale new leaf growth.

It could be a very young Marble Queen sword. Those often have nearly white young leaves which then become variegated before becoming mostly green when mature, and the effect is more pronounced in higher light (when growing in low light they are mostly all green regardless of age). If it's a Marble Queen, it'll eventually get pretty big, but they're really attractive plants.

There is another variety, I forgot the name, that also has extremely pale new leaves that turn a sunshine yellow as they grow before becoming green. I'm pretty sure that kind is in the Ozelot group, and stays medium size when fully grown.

The only way to know what you have and whether it's unhealthy or just a specific variety is to see what the leaves do as they go through different growth stages.
Thanks for the insight! As of now, the white leaves are staying white and some leaves are turning red. It's a crazy beautiful plant and I can't wait til it matures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts