The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a non-planted tank and has in stock 2 goldfish and 1 koi in a 20 gallon. They do 20% water changes every 2 weeks and replace their filter. What else could be done to fix the white cloudy water?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How long has the tank been set up? It sounds like a bacterial bloom caused by the tank not being fully cycled. Only time can clear it up properly, though you can use a micron canister filter or a UV sterilizer to help the process along a bit.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
White Cloudy Water

Hello woot...

I can tell you what keeps the water in my tanks crystal clear. First, changing 20 percent of the tank water every two weeks won't do much. You need to be changing half the tank water weekly.

Second, get an HOB (hang on the back) filter that has a gph (gallons per hour) rating a minimum 6 times the volume of your tank and get a good polyfiber in the filter.

If you need more specifics, all you need to do is ask.

B

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long has the tank been set up? It sounds like a bacterial bloom caused by the tank not being fully cycled. Only time can clear it up properly, though you can use a micron canister filter or a UV sterilizer to help the process along a bit.
They have had the setup for a year or so. Also they have a hang on filter that seems to be right size for the tank, way bigger than what I have at home. There is no overfeeding as well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They have had the setup for a year or so. Also they have a hang on filter that seems to be right size for the tank, way bigger than what I have at home. There is no overfeeding as well.
There may have been a bacterial die-off that has caused the tank to have to re-cycle. A drop in pH is a common cause for this, as well as a too-thorough job in cleaning the tank/filter or changing all of your filter media at once. If the tank is in direct sunlight or if the lights are too bright in the tank then there may be an algae bloom. Cloudy water that is not due to sediment is almost always bacteria or algae.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They have 2 goldfish and a koi in a 20 gallon tank, that is their problem. That tank is terribly overstocked.
Also if they are replacing their filter media every water change they are removing most of their nitrifiying bacteria and resetting their cycle every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
There is really no need to ever replace any of your filter media as that is what holds a good majority of the beneficial bacteria. I do rinse off my sponges in my tank water once a month (when I do a water change) just to get any excess gunk off them. I was changing my filter media as described by the manufacturer's instructions at first, but as I read more about cycling on these forums, I found out that it's not really a good idea unless you want a mini-cycle in your tank.

Also, Koi fish don't belong in a 20G. They belong in a pond. They will outgrow the tank in no time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts