The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see what you think about keeping white clouds in a heated tank. Temperature would be at 77 F. Everything that I've read online suggests they can't go above 74 F. I've asked a few times if they kept white clouds and if they could survive in a heated tank along with other community fish. They said it would be fine. So just want to see what YOU would do. Yes or no?

I've been considering them or the golden variety for a little while now. Part of the reason I'm really interested in getting them is my pH is rather high topping out at 8 and gH and kH moderate at 7. My only other question would be is how well do they school? I have 9 dwarf neon rainbows currently, they are my centerpiece of the tank. I'm just looking to fill the tank out with what you could say 'dither' fish.

Tank is a 75 gallon heavily planted..

·
Registered
778 Posts
I keep some white clouds in with my chocolate gourmais currently, and temp is running 80-81 and they are fine. I've had them since they were fry. They do school, but not as tightly and cohesively as some other schoolers out there. They are very entertaining to watch though, constantly flaring chasing and showing off for each other. I'm actually looking to get rid of some of mine if you want them! PM me if your interested :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I keep white clouds in a tank that's about 75 degrees. I had it around 80 for a while and they did fine, but I turned the temp down just to cut back on evaporation (and condensation on my single-pane windows).
I agree that they're pretty and entertaining, all for about a buck apiece.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A buck apiece? o_O

My LFS sells them as feeders and I get them for ~$.12 each. I use them to cycle tanks in lieu of goldfish - throw in a few dozen and monitor water quality. If half of them die, their bodies will help fuel the nitrogen cycle and they're so small that they're gone in a couple days at most.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They will be fine in a heated tank but as other people have stated and its been studied (i think there was an article in Amazonas, could have been another magazine) that their life will be shortened with the higher heat. I kept mind in 78-81 degrees for a while with my angels and they did fine. Eventually felt guilty and gave them away.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. So when you say their lifespans are shortened when exposed to higher temps how many years are we talking about? Doesn't seem like white clouds were what I was going for, I'm looking for a pH tolerant, hardy, small 'tight' schooling fish, I'm assuming they would be more of a shoal/do whatever they want kinda thing. I know tight schooling doesn't usually happen because most fish school when they feel threatened, but there has to be some fish out there, right? haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.