The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else a fan of these? I like these a lot. the colors on them are great. And I love how they're so hardy. The only thing I've noticed in my experienced is they don't really school... at all, even though supposedly they're schooling fish

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine usually hangout together on one side of the tank. Does anyone know is the 24kt gold variety will school/shoal with the regular variety?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Has anyone seen the long finned version of the white cloud lately? Its sort of a unicorn of sorts in the hobby...

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah and i'm pretty sure on that website it says they're out of stock lol

They're pretty elusive in the aquarium hobby. I saw some awhile back at a LFS... and I could kick myself in the keester for not getting some.

And no, they don't really school. In fact must of the time it looks like they chase each other and display to each other lol

·
Registered
821 Posts
I love these fish. It's tied for my top favorite schooling (or shoaling) fish. The best part of these fish, aside from their color & beauty, has to be the fact that they are COLD WATER fish.

Speaking of varieties...not a fan of the gold version nor the long finned version. And I actually saw yet another version of this fish that was even worse......last week at a LFS I ran into a "large eyed" version of this fish! Ugly as F*U*C*K!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I really wanted some, but haven't got a tank for them. My goldfish would eat them and they'd eat my shrimp. I think this means I need a third tank. They're just cute! Okay, I say that about everything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have some and they are great. the dominant male has actually turned a dark brown and his body line is basically pink. them and my harlequin rasboras kind of school together. its pretty cool :) i came across some of the longfin variety a few weeks ago and they were quite stunning. didnt have any room for them though :/

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for WCMMs. They have such a cute face. Their fins are larger than you think since they usually have them relaxed to enhance their torpedo-like shape. When they display, it's quite pretty. They play nice with others and their spats amongst themselves are tame. They are also easy keepers. When the stripe along their body hits the light right, it really lights up. Unfortunately the rich olive color of their body is hard to appreciate from afar - doesn't pop. I think they look the best close up.

I hear the long finned versions can't outcompete the short finned males for the ladies so a long finned breeding group eventually reverts back to short fins after so many generations.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My LFS had some longfinned "meteor cloud minnows" last year, both regulars and goldens, and they were really pretty but at $8 a pop they weren't for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
White Clouds are great fish, and one of the best for nano tanks that are too small to heat properly. The regular ones breed like rabbits if given even a modicum of cover for the fry... they are not big egg/fry hunters/eaters if fed well.

The long finned ones are MUCH fussier... a really weak strain. They don't reproduce as easily and are not as hardy overall. Often, people who have no problem breeding the wild type have no luck with the long fins.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The long finned ones are MUCH fussier... a really weak strain. They don't reproduce as easily and are not as hardy overall. Often, people who have no problem breeding the wild type have no luck with the long fins.
Honestly, I haven't seen "the wild type" in decades. When I was a kid, white clouds were a pale greenish fish with a neon stripe, and only took on a chocolate color and red fins while breeding. The current model, which retains those colors year-round, is a domestic strain.

~Bruce, who has a couple of them in his goldfish tank - but they seem to be disappearing as the goldfish grow . . .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts