The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked several times but i’m looking for some clarification. Many people say White Cloud Mountain Minnows should not be kept with neocaridina because of the possibility they will eat them. Is the concern that they will eat the small shrimp fry or they will eat the adult shrimp?

Thank you

·
Registered
274 Posts
As I'm planning a tank like this, I've also looked into the question. it hasn't really been resolved, but you can imagine the fry are going to be much easier to eat than the adult shrimp. The summary I gained from reading was that you should establish your shrimp colony first. That way, the shrimp colony has the numbers to sustain any predation by the fish. They won't eat all the shrimp and the shrimp will be confident in numbers. I suspect if you just added a few shrimp to a minnow tank you'd never see the shrimp again. By giving the shrimp a head start you should be able to achieve a balance in your tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Although White cloud mountain minnows have a large temperature range they can live in, they do prefer a colder tank. The shrimp want a more tropical tank. They will do okay living together if you keep it in the lower range of temperature for the shrimp.

Like most fish, they will eat baby shrimp but I have not found my White cloud mountain minnows to be very aggressive if I keep them fed.

·
Administrator
17,883 Posts
Is the concern that they will eat the small shrimp fry or they will eat the adult shrimp?
Yes and yes.

You're seeing reports of them eating shrimp because they will eat shrimp. And if they can't choke down a fully grown adult? They can maim, harm, harass, kill them - and then consume the pieces. When it comes to fish like this? When some people share one experience and some other people share a different experience, it's because both experiences are possible. There's no one, true answer because there are way too many variables to consider. Some of those variables: the individual specimens, tank size, aquascape, line of site, feeding habits, hiding spaces, et al.

it hasn't really been resolved
It has been resolved, fortunately. Like @klibs says, if it can fit in the mouth of a fish? It can become a snack. That goes for all fish - even fish smaller than shrimp.

But you hit the nail on the head about varying circumstances and working to have a healthy population.

The shrimp want a more tropical tank.
Shrimp like Neocaridina and Caridina (especially Caridina) are cool water species and do best in cooler temperatures.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’ve kept long fin white clouds with shrimp for years. In a large enough tank(mine is 65 gallons)
With a lot of hiding places and plants I never had the shrimp population suffer. As a matter a fact it thrived. Keep the fish well fed and you shouldn’t have a problem. I’m sure some of my fish grabbed a few babies here and there but I never witnessed it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I kept mine with celestial pearls 10 of em and Siamese algae eater 3of em in a 10 gallon tank. i still see baby shrimps popping here and there.
Again it is my experience. i also have minnows in my other tank, they grew a bit bigger than my danio, so i dont keep them with shrimp.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I look at it this way,in nature they coexist together. But how many of us own our private river, stream?We have a choice, shrimp only or if our tank is large enough a mixed community. My tank is ten gallons and it is shrimp and four ottos. I see nothing wrong with mixed tanks. It’s your decision.The important thing is that we enjoy keeping all types of aquariums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts