The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid 10/$1 & I'm pretty amazed at how non skittish this these tiny fish are. I can put my hand in the tank & they won't budge, when my fingers are against the tank they come closer. Awesome little buggers

·
Registered
263 Posts
wow that cheap! in Central NJ I mostly see them for 1.25ish each. You must've gotten as feeder fish

Show us some picture of them in the tank! I have been wanting to get some, but current tank is a bit over stocked lol

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Lucky you with that price! I love my white clouds 9have a dozen adults and unknown # fry). They're smart little fish that learn ques for feeding fast and they don't mind my hands in the tank, if I move very slowly I can pet them. Shame more see them as trash feeder fish :c
I love that they don't need a heater and aren't picky eaters. In a well planted tank fry can grow up with adults but the adults will eat eggs/fry they find (supposedly-i have small fry feeding with the adults and not getting eaten).

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Are they really that sensitive to warmer temps though? I have wanted some since I was a kid, found a source recently, but I believe they might have trouble at the 30C average temp my tanks run dec to march..
Today is literally the first time I have seen my heaters on in 2 months.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Are they really that sensitive to warmer temps though? I have wanted some since I was a kid, found a source recently, but I believe they might have trouble at the 30C average temp my tanks run dec to march..
Today is literally the first time I have seen my heaters on in 2 months.
They can live in warmer water BUT it reduces their life span, it's not very comfortable for them.. like a thick coated dog (husky) stuck in 80F+ temps. The warmer the water the shorter they live. Can turn a several year life span into only months with you.

I don't use a heater. Tank stays 65F constantly and they've been happily spawning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.