The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon tank which has been established for about a year. about 3 months ago, I went on a trip and used the Tetra Weekend Gel Formula feeder. After returning, I removed the remaining gel feeder and did a 50% water change - about 3 days later, this white algae began to show up in small clumps around the tank. It is an interesting bugger because it moves and expands and shrinks. In addition, it seems to expand when the lights are off - rather than when they are on.

I have searched for answers in multiple places without success. I visited my local aquarium expert and he suggested I visit this site as he has seen this before, but could not identify the species of algae nor a proper treatment - other than hydrogen peroxide.

Please let me know what type of algae you see in the picture / and advice on how to get rid of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats! You've got slime mold. They're an oddball critter/thing, not an algae but they are harmless though. And yes they move. They'll disappear after whatever nutrient they're eating is fully consumed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally I thought it might be a mold, but I do weekly water changes 25% - 50%. It just seems weird that it has stuck around for over 3 months. I was leaning towards the algae simply because of its spidery growth look.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Originally I thought it might be a mold, but I do weekly water changes 25% - 50%. It just seems weird that it has stuck around for over 3 months. I was leaning towards the algae simply because of its spidery growth look.
Fun with slime...

Slime Mold Photos

·
Registered
936 Posts
looks cool.
and yes, its not an algea if its white. white means it is not absorbing light, meaning not doing photosynhesis.
looks like fungus of some type.

speaking of algae i see BBA on your plants and possibly diatoms aswell

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have never actually seen this before but it looks rather... nice. But yeah, it's definitely 100% not an algae.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.