The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have experience with whiptail catfish (Farlowella acus) in combating algae?

It's a long shot but anyone else have experience with keeping them and discus? Will they become notorious for munching off discus like Otos and SAEs?

Looking for a replacement for Otos and SAEs to combat algae along with the amanos and BNPs I already have.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Temps for Discus are a bit warm for the Farlowella and Bristlenose but they both excel at eating algae throughout their lives unlike some other species that lose interest in algae once they discover fish food's are easier to come by.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I've had a wide range of plecos with Discus, the larger meaner ones I'd not suggest, but BNP, the twig farowellas, Sturisoma, Ancistrus sp all do very well. Gold nuggets also do well and clean the glass if you have several.

Healthy discus do not just sit there waiting to be bothered, they are aggressive big old tank bred cichlids. VERY few folks have wild fish.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Farllowella, those guys are pretty good at eating algae. I don't know about discus, but it did not bother any of my other small fishes. Very interesting to watch too. I missed having them......

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
don't recommend, they need giant aquatic plant with big leaves or submerge tree leaves/branches, or they will damage the plants.
I had a pair long time ago, in a heavily planted tank with big driftwood covered in Java ferns, a lot of algae for the Acus, but still, all Java Ferns slowly reduced to bare stems.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I kept them with discus, then pulled them and made a species tank for breeding. Sturisomas can handle the temp range a lot better than the farlowellas though.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
From my 180 which has no large plant leaves:

I think Sturisoma are nice fish for Discus. they match well and can bred, but the discus will eat all the fry, so those must be removed.

All the Sturisoma are F2's in my tank.

They are also diurnal and eat well.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
From my 180 which has no large plant leaves:

I think Sturisoma are nice fish for Discus. they match well and can bred, but the discus will eat all the fry, so those must be removed.

All the Sturisoma are F2's in my tank.

They are also diurnal and eat well.
what I had were Farlowella acus, they did a nice job clean the glass, but destroy the Java ferns...
now you got me hooked on these Sturisoma, I will definitely try them when I have the chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts