The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so while I am QTing new fish from the LFS, should I be proactively medicating the fish even though they don't show any signs of illness?

I have read Darkblades threads where he goes into detail how to medicate neon tetras for their specific problems.

So are there only specific fish that you medicate every time irregardless of signs of illness or should it be something that I do as a standard protocol?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's an LFS near me that says they do a Sechem Para-gard dip on all incoming stock, and they do have nice healthy fish, so that could be part of it. But of course their aim is to have the stock in the sales tanks ASAP. For a home QT, I think most people are just on the lookout for illness -- but I can see the value in treating the tank with Para-guard (or something similar) just to take care of any external parasites. After all, the stress of shipping, store tanks, temperature changes, etc. make all fish more susceptible to pathogens.

Just be sure that any product you use is okay with the critters. Scaleless fish, in particular, are super-sensitive to a lot of meds. And obviously don't use carbon/purigen in a QT tank if you're treating with meds, or they will be filtered out before they can do much good.

Hope this is helpful. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same question when I finally started keeping a QT tank. Reading around it seems to be one of those things people disagree on a lot.

I think it depends on your fish and source. I mostly worry about internal parasites. I figure the external problems will be easier to diagnose during the month of QT.

For example, I bought 50 wild caught cardinals half a year ago. I would have de-wormed them and then just observed and medicated as needed. However, the guy I bought them from had already de-wormed them and he was reputable so I just observed and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I do a three day to a week long dip of Methylene blue/lowsalt, (I have an acrylic tank so no stains). With a heater on @ 75 degrees. Then I change the water and monitor from there. I PAY very close attention once the water is changed, usually it will stain fungus, Ich, or injuries BRIGHT blue. Then I know I have a sick fish and usually will return the fish or further treat with a higher salt concentration and meds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.