The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LFS has disus on sale but only 2 different species, the white face red melons or Royal Turquoise at $20 each. They are very healthy right now and eating well. So which would you get if you had the choice, I like both. But I only have a 72 bow front.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Personally I'm a fan of Turqs so that's what I'd get but yoink is right, you could get a few of both.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Second question is this a good price? I know fish are cheaper in the US I rarely see discus cheaper than $35 here.
My tank already has 5 long fin danios and 4 platys.
If I buy 4(2 of each) will I be asking for trouble?

·
Registered
623 Posts
If the tank is planted and healthy You can (from my experience) get away with adding more fish to the tank. The plants do need nitrates.

The inch of fish per gallon rule is a good rule of thumb but as I said, in a nice healthy planted tank you can exceed that some.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Second question is this a good price? I know fish are cheaper in the US I rarely see discus cheaper than $35 here.
My tank already has 5 long fin danios and 4 platys.
If I buy 4(2 of each) will I be asking for trouble?
I would say that is a good price. I've never bought them, but they usually go for around $40 at the LFS here, and usually look pretty sad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The inch of fish per gallon rule is a good rule of thumb
That rule goes right out the window with Discus. And, with the needed water change schedule, you can get away with more Discus in smaller tanks. For example, Jack Wattley recommends up to 6-8 adult Discus in a 55gal tank. When all is said and done I will have 12 Discus in my 125gal tank. I will be raising 8 small Discus in a 46gal and will eventually split them between 2 tanks. Once they are full grown they will go into the 125gal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say that is a good price. I've never bought them, but they usually go for around $40 at the LFS here, and usually look pretty sad.
Ya I know what you mean ,that's why I said they are healthy right now. The store also had some neon blues in another tank that looked very bad ,frayed fins and sores.
My tank has been very healthy as I've had all of those fish for over a year. I think I'll take a chance and get 2 of each tomorrow. It also helps that hubby said he'll get them for my mothers day gift.:icon_mrgr
I should also add they are about 3".

·
Registered
623 Posts
That rule goes right out the window with Discus. And, with the needed water change schedule, you can get away with more Discus in smaller tanks. For example, Jack Wattley recommends up to 6-8 adult Discus in a 55gal tank. When all is said and done I will have 12 Discus in my 125gal tank. I will be raising 8 small Discus in a 46gal and will eventually split them between 2 tanks. Once they are full grown they will go into the 125gal.

Goes to show I've never owned discus fish :)
Thanks, thats good to know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lotus that is a good price, i wen to a big al's wher ei live, and they're going for at least 25+, i would say as long as you have the room, and right equipment, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yup, at $20 each I 'd certainly snap them up. I just bought 8 online for just a bit over $200 so I'd have loved to have had access to those fish.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well went back to LFS after work today, picked up 4 discus all around 3" in size. The white face red melons were no longer there. I was really bummed out got 2 Royal Turquoise ,asked if they were getting any more fish manager told me he had others in QT in the back room, that were going to be brought out tomorrow I could have 2 of those if I wanted. So took 2 unfortunately I have no clue a what kind they are, might be crossbreed but nice just the same. They are still acclimating. Hope I can get a few pics later.
What's the easiest way to post pics?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
$20 for 3" discus, that's not bad. Since they are juveniles, 4 discus on a 72 bowfront is a small group, but it could be done. I would make sure you select a healthy, actively eating, aggressive group. Depending on the size of their current tank and how overcrowded it is, they may feel nervous in a large, roomy 72 bowfront.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.