The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I had some Neo that were more sensitive than others, like BD and Fire Yellow. They are not your regular hardy can't-kill-it red cherry.

I plan to have some of those Bloody Marys. I have 2 sets up I can house them in:

- 1/2 Amazonia soil with 1/2 inert substrate, and its water parms are as follow: PH=6.4-6.8 GH=6 TDS 220 (R/O water with SS GH+)

- 100% inert substrate and its water parms are as follow: PH=6.8-7.0 GH=7-8 TDS=250 (straight out from tap)

- I know some of us house these Neo with CRS with 100% Amazonia soil. Will this work for these BM shrimps?

Which one would you prefer?

Some detail why you choose that?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Steakman

(I do know a lot more about steak than shrimp. I can tell you that ... :tongue:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
They will do fine in either setup. Choosing one.... I would go with option #1 just because YOU are in control of the water parameters and sometimes tap water will change with the seasons or whenever your local water department decides to change things up a bit.

I actually keep my BM with mischlings. Fluval Shrimp Stratum and SS GH+ is what that particular tank has and the parameters are PH 6.7-6.8, GH 5, KH 0, TDS 160-180. And temps are whatever my thermostat is set on, usually 72-73. I don't run heaters in any of my shrimp tanks.... well just my cardinal tank and opae ula tank.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Either one will work as above poster said but I think I would prefer the second tank. Slightly more in line with neo parameters, I am assuming kh is zero in first tank. Also, don't have to worry about ada soil losing its buffering ability.

Non. Related, but where/what is the best steak you ever had? :red_mouth

·
Registered
227 Posts
I vote for second one.

water parameters is better for neo shrimps. if any one worrys about tap water, you can keep the same setup but change to RO + GH booster.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your inputs, guys.

Btw, anybody keep them with the crystal shrimps?

Tempted though for the purpose of tank saving and the pleasure for the eyes ... :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for your inputs, guys.

Btw, anybody keep them with the crystal shrimps?

Tempted though for the purpose of tank saving and the pleasure for the eyes ... :)
Currently yes。

I received my BMS last week, and I put it in my CRS tank.

before that, I adjust the GH from 4 to 8.
so now the GH is 7-8, a little bit higher for CRS, so I plan to move them to another new tank once it's cycled.

It's better to have its own tank.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, James.

I once had my Fire Yellow Neo housed in a CRS tank and they were doing fine. They bred not as much as other Neo in their higher PH water.

I guess I have to settle for the second option above, and in order to keep the water parameters stabled, I'll use R/O water with SS GH+.

The only issue with this is my R/O water has a bit lower PH than tap's.

SM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts