The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Names don't mean much since diffeent manufacturers use them differently.
K rating is the common thing to go by.
The 65-6700K as been said to be best for a few years now.
But the hydroponics people are now saying and promoting the 5500K is/as the
best for plant growth. A few of their sites sell that K rating of bulb now.
The above chart is for light other than white to show which nm plants absorbe
best.
So pick by K rating instead of name. But somewhere between 5000 and 7000K.
You also might want to throw in a few @ 10,000/12,000/14,000K if your tank is 20" or more deep, but unless it's more than 24" I'd keep it down to 4 or less in those LED bulbs. Maybe 6.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Actually the above chart is a CREE "Grouping" of their white LED's... ww (2600-3700),nw (3700-5000) ,cw (5000-8300) which is which is self explanatory.
As to hort. I suspect they are going to a more "red enhanced" LED.

Typical white lighting LED spectra for cool (> 5,000K, in blue), neutral (4,100K, green), and warm-white (3,100K, red). A blue power LED will only have the left hand peak.
480nm
All lighting LEDs have a dip in their spectrum at 480nm (see above) – the wavelength at which photo-ganglion cells are most sensitive.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Names don't mean much since diffeent manufacturers use them differently.
K rating is the common thing to go by.
The 65-6700K as been said to be best for a few years now.
But the hydroponics people are now saying and promoting the 5500K is/as the
best for plant growth. A few of their sites sell that K rating of bulb now.
The above chart is for light other than white to show which nm plants absorbe
best.
So pick by K rating instead of name. But somewhere between 5000 and 7000K.
You also might want to throw in a few @ 10,000/12,000/14,000K if your tank is 20" or more deep, but unless it's more than 24" I'd keep it down to 4 or less in those LED bulbs. Maybe 6.
Thank you, I'm starting to think setting up these LED's are as addictive as the plants, fish etc. The good thing with LED's is that if you're careful you can do a lot with a small investment, however the danger is that if you want, the sky's the limit.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Thank you, I'm starting to think setting up these LED's are as addictive as the plants, fish etc. The good thing with LED's is that if you're careful you can do a lot with a small investment, however the danger is that if you want, the sky's the limit.
Tell me about it. In the past year I've reconfigured 3x and now have boxes of spare parts.. Dollar here dollar there....

Good thing is I've settled a bit BUT now have to make it "pretty" for the spouse.. yuck... ;)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Actually if you look on the BML DIY page, you can see which bulbs you might want
and then look them up on-line for availability.
Other than money(LOL) the only glitch in my going for these is that so far I don't see
any spacers or know where to get the basic piece that the bulbs hook to.
By spacers I mean I would like to build one of these which goes along the front AND back of the tank(perhaps two strips) with spacers between the bulbs so that th end
results would add up to about 45 PAR @ the sub.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
If building LED's wasn't easy I wouldn't be doing it and getting a good light..Notice I didn't say "great"... ;)

ON paper 93W @ 3ft $45 of LEDs and $30 of aluminum...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.