The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

There seem to be two main models of UVs, turbo-twist type models, and more common straight channel models. What are the pros and cons for different UVs you have in terms of ease of cleaning interior channel / replacing bulb?

I.E. once UV sterilizer is all nicely mounted under tank, are there differences in ease of cleaning the interior chamber? Or replacing bulb? Do all models permit removal of bulb while unit is still running (leaving it nicely mounted under tank?

Thanks,

growitnow

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have the turbo twist 9 v. This is the best one to get. People who see the tank are amazed at how clear the water is. It is very easy to clean these as well. All you do it make sure all the water is out, and then twist the unit 1/4 turn and it pops right off. This will be very easy for you since it will be under the tank. I wouldn't recommend you take it off while the UV is still running. All you have to do with this model is open the unit and unscrew the quartz casing. Very easy to do under the tank.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Mounting a UV under your tank inline with a filter is like keeping a motorcycle trailer hooked to your truck all the time. Make it portable, much easier to do everything that way. Instructions are linked below......DC

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Agreed D.C. Unless you only have one tank.

UV clarifiers don't need cleaning. As long as you run the tube everyonce in a while, maybe an hour once a week, you will never need to clean it. Well, never say never. But rarely if ever.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Unless someone knows somwething I don't, UV filters absoluetly need cleaning! (if they're actually being used) I'd way once ever 2 months or so you need to clean them up to have the full light get from the bulb to the water it's supposed to be sterilizing.
I agree about the Turbo Twist- I have a turbo twist- Cleaning is a breeze. Unscrew the top, wipe off the crud, put it back together! DONE!
I only have one tank, and I leave the UV hooked up all the time. When I'm mkedicating, or when I first add nutrients, I turn the UV off, but it's usually on and the water stays beautiful. YES it's probbaly overkill to keep it on, but I'm the king of overkill.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well, that's one of those things that there's two schools of thought on. I keep mine on 24/7 and haven't noticed any issues with it in my particular set-up (YMMV). It's much easier for me and it's done away with the haziness/blooms I'd get every time I pruned the jungle.

I also suspect "easy to clean" is relative to how much other cr--- , er "stuff" you've got under there.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
When I checked my UV after a few months it was spotless. When I checked again after 6 months it was still spotless. Eventually, I only ran it if I thought I might have some GW coming. At first I ran it every night after lights out for about 4-5 hours so as not to deplete iron... Other than that, I don't think they are necessary. But if you have ich or GW, they are heaven sent.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quartz liner in my Tetra UV1 is spotless after 8 months. No need to clean mine. I will also add that I have a larger one on my 900gallon pond and it never gets gunked up either.

Bulbs are supposedly good for around 1 year if used 24x7x365.

Ted

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
After similar checks of my reactor and UVS at cleanup time I usually wish the hoses stay this clean. :)

Unless something major happens I will not open up my UVS till the bulb needs changing.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've had my Turbo Twist for over a year on the output of my 2126 and it has never needed cleaning yet. It runs 24/7, too.

Watch, I'll check it Saturday when I do my maintenance and it'll need it. :D

Tommy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts