The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which tetra to add, or is it too many

355 7
Hi guys, let me start by introductions, since I recently joined this forum. I have been keeping fish for the past 10 years or so. At this point I have 3 main tanks and a quarantine One of the tanks is fairly new asian setup (white cloud minnows and in the future panda garras), one is a shrimp only tank that has been running for a year or so and the last is a south american stocking that has been over a year in the current stocking.
It is 120x50x60cm, semi planted, pH is 7 or so the drop tests are not so specific for me, harness is soft per the water company.
At this moment, it houses:
6 hatchetfish Carnegiella marthae plus 8 more are in the quarantine and will go next week. Lost previous batches due to jumping out so this is their second chance. And yes I have a lid, just sometimes forgot to close the tiniest gap after feeding and fish went gone.
20 sterbai corydoras, had some trouble with feeding and fungus in the past, last month added 10 more juveniles
40 or so ember tetras. Lost around 5 of them in past few months due to overfeeding I guess, I focused on the corydoras and the tetras are gluttons, the females are super large and all that I lost were very big females
There are 2 otocinclus, 6 more in quarantine but not sure how many will survive. 3 bamboo shrimp, 5 tylomelania snails, I know, not that great pH for them, they have 2 babies too. The tank is overall very mellow and all the fish are static or slow moving, except when it comes to food which I have had to cut way down in order to stabilize the tetras.

I was looking for some mid level fish from south america that would liven the tank up, but not bother the hatchetfish. It could also be a good source for the embers to not eat as much, as in competition. But I am coming up sort of blank. I absolutely hate the neons and cardinals, they are so overused, common and poor of health so no to these. What fish could I consider and wont the tank be overstocked? Aq advisor would say yes . Thanks
Plant Green Aquatic plant Wood Grass
Reactions: Teslacron
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some research on pencilfish and arent they also a lot static and not quite active swimmers?
I do not like the look of angels and they seem too dominant to disrupt the balance too much

· Registered
122 Posts

· Registered
approximately 250 total gallons between 16 aquariums ranging from 2.5 and 125 gallons
14 Posts
Nice tank! Angels are beautiful but yes adults can be predatory toward Cardinals. Discus though... gentle giants with amazing color that thrive in planted tanks and fit your South American criteria.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts