The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a year of hating the things, I've finally figured out why my Classics won't fall silent - it's because they both have deep scratches in the impeller chambers. One of these I know I'm responsible for myself (was fishing around with a wire hook to remove the bushings) but the rest I can only attribute to something getting struck in there, probably sand. Anyway, since I can't replace the pump head (cheaper to buy new Eheims) I've decided I might as well just replace the damn things.

I should be able to sell them for about AU$150-200 the pair (they still work extremely well, just I sleep near them so they need to be quieter than this).

That gives me enough money to buy all the SunSun filtration I want! The good thing about living in Australia is that Chinese goods are especially cheap here.

I was considering putting two of the 1000L/ph models, which would set me back $100. Hopefully, that will actually mean I turn a profit, at least in the short term.

Is that the appropriate choice for a 90 gallon? The reason I like Eheim Classics is that the flow rate is quite low, relative to the media capacity, which means that I don't have too much current. I've mostly got gouramis, which don't like the current. So, I'm concerned that I don't blow my fish out of the tank.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you want to replace your eheims with sunsuns? It might be a case of the loud Eheim still being quieter than a normal sunsun.
Actually no, I'm not sure.

After thinking about it for a few more hours, I've decided to buy another, identical, Eheim Classic.

It's a love hate relationship, you see.

I asked my old man what he thought about it, and he pointed out that he has an identical 2217 running that is older than I am. In addition, I tried to use Aqadvisor to figure out the correct amount of SunSun filtration to replace the two Eheims (I love that site, and trust its filter ratings), and I'd need more than three times the flow rate, and more than double power consumption with SunSun. I don't want that much flow in my tank.

Finally, much as I hate Eheim Classics, I can now confidently say I know pretty much everything there is to know about them. (Admittedly not much, really). I have lots of spare parts floating around that it would be a shame to waste.

But damn, they're expensive!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.