The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have eco in my 55Gallon tank. But now its time to upgrade to my 125g.

Should I stick with eco and just add the few extra needed bags?
Should I get all new subtrate?
What would be a good subtrate to use, I have crypts, swords and a few needy plants?

Im not looking for subtrate thats good for plants, not too worried about costs. might as well do it right the first time :icon_smil
I know I could mix the subtrate with sand or gavel to save cost's. But I won't :icon_lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd say if you're happy with the Eco stick with it. Good thought on not trying to mix in something else to save money. I did that on my 150 (same footprint as a 125) and have regretted it. I mixed in a couple bags of fine grained gravel with Onyx sand and wish I would've spent the extra money for all Onyx.

David

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you're going to keep the 55 too, and $$ is not that important, you can always go with ADA AS. There are many threads here with proven results.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Some of the newer Eco is pretty fined grain and is sucked up a bit in a vac. I agree however, since you have a fair quantity to stick with it in the new 125 gallon. I recently ordered some flourite myself as I believe it superior to Eco and I'm replacing Aqua Soil due to an algae issue and my water. I do like Flourite, except for the reddish hue.

But if you can find Profile's "Turface Gray" in your area, its supposedly a great dark gray substrate, inert and only $12 per 50# bag! You can see it here: http://www.bharada.com/aquaria_120.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts