The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For doing water changes on an 84” high rim (rack holding 20 10’s), what size submersible pump do I need to use a drip emitter?

I see a recommendation online for around 30 psi but that seems to be used for many emitters and 0 head height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
628 Posts
I have recurring dreams about running a fish room. But they are only dreams so I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. The pumps sometimes have a head height chart if that's helpful.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most aquarium pumps are designed for high flow and relatively low pressure. What are you trying to accomplish? A continuous water change system for your fish rack out of a barrel of treated/aged water? Usually pressure pumps aren't really designed to run 24x7. Often pressure pumps are paired with air bladder pressure tanks. The pump runs for a few minutes and builds up pressure in the air bladder pressure tank. Then the water is continuously emitted from the tank until the pressure drops and the pressure pump pumps the bladder back up.

I know it would be much harder to design but you might consider putting your water aging barrel above the tanks and use gravity to supply the pressure... like a water tower in a municipal water system.

You might also consider using a dosing pump to pump water into the tank and not use and emitter on the end of the line? I see the Jebao dosing pump will do 10 liters a day. I am guessing you could find dosing pumps with a higher rate if needed.

Or forget continuous water changes altogether. Just pump 5 gallons of water into the tank with the excess going down the overflow in a short period of time using a higher flow pump without any emitter all at once. Then put the pump on a timer to run 5 minutes (or what ever makes sense) every day. I use a system similar to this and really like it. If I want to up the water change volume I just set the pump to run longer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for responding! The rack I’ll be using is a 4 tier which will hold aquariums on the top row as well. I will make the last row I setup the top row so I can have my water on top. But once that is set up all the way I won’t be able to do that as it will be too close to the ceiling for me to have a bucket on top of the top tanks. I will be housing caridina and neocaridina and want to be able to drip my water changes, primarily for the caridina. I won’t be doing this continuously, just a normal weekly water change. So I’m looking for a pump that can sit on the floor in the bucket or possibly be in a bucket hung on a hook higher but still not higher than the top row so there would still be some head height. If I’m able to hang it maybe only 2ft of head pressure but if not, about 7ft of head pressure.

I just don’t know how to pick a pump that can push the water up but not burn out or whatever from it only being dripped in. My plan is for only one outlet/emitter.

And yes my wife is amazing for allowing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.