The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am finally decideing to go to the pressurized co2 side of things since I am planning a 125g right now and I just do not think the DIY yeast/sugar deal is going to cut the mustard like it does for my little 10g. But I have been reading a ton and have decided to go with a dual stage regulator. Might as well do it right the first time. Here is where I am tho, I have found 2 regulators that I think are nice but can not decide between them.

1 - MATHESON GAS REGULATOR M# 3104C CGA350
2 - AIR PRODUCT E12-244B GAS PRESSURE REGULATOR 3000PSI

I was not sure if I could post ebay links here or not so I just posted the models for now. These are both the same price as well @ $100. If I can post the links let me know and I will so you can see the details about them.
Which of the these is a better product? Are they worth the $100?
Sorry for so many questions but this is my first pressurized system and just want to do it right the first time. Thanks

Mark

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Unless they're new, don't spend more than $50. Generally speaking, as long as the regulator you're looking at is a) dual stage and b) not broken, you're fine.

Mind you, single stage isn't too bad. GLA and Sumo both sell single stages, and nobody seems to have a problem with them. And a good single stage can often be grabbed for $20 shipped.

To quickly figure out if they're single or dual stage, look at the pic. Is it lying flat on its back? Single stage. Is it at an angle and has a "bubble" on the back end? Dual stage. If you're not sure, just google the model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Both of these are dual stage and both are new. The Air Products one you can see it in the pic on the label and I did google the Matheson and it is also a dual stage. There are some real nice victor single stages on there for a good price as well. I am just concerned about the end of the tank issue that I have read about so much as well as the fact that most of what I have read says that for the longevity that dual stage would be the way to go. I would love to find one even in the $50 dollar range. But like I said I want something that I know is going to last and wont have to be repairing.rebuilding or worrying about anything.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Generally speaking, unless you do something dumb, you won't ever have to worry about repairing a dual stage. They're designed for far far more of a beating than we ever put them through. A used dual stage, in working condition, will most likely outlast your interest in the hobby.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody I really appreciate all the help and input. So I will stick with the dual stage just lower the price range and used will be ok. Is there any type that I should stay clear of, as in one that was used for any other type of material?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That thing is pretty cool!!! Thanks for the help man. I will forward you a link right now that I am curious about. I think it is a re-branded unit. From what I can come up with I think it is a victor unit but you tell me what you think.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I think saying dont spend more than $50 is misleading. You should say, with patience and the right searching, you can find deals for under $50. If I could find another matheson mini reg, I would pay more than $50.

So would I. But a first-time CO2 user? I think a $50 max is an excellent rule of thumb.

As for the CGA320 valve, the Matheson/Harris regs (older ones, maybe?) sometimes don't use a standard 1/4" NPT fitting. It'll cost a couple bucks more, but finding the right thread isn't hard if you need it.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
So would I. But a first-time CO2 user? I think a $50 max is an excellent rule of thumb.

As for the CGA320 valve, the Matheson/Harris regs (older ones, maybe?) sometimes don't use a standard 1/4" NPT fitting. It'll cost a couple bucks more, but finding the right thread isn't hard if you need it.
I dont.

I think that people who are looking to start their co2 system off right and have done the research should know that sometimes a nice DSR can cost more then $50. It is in the end, up to the member to decide if they want to spend whatever the amount of money the regulator they like is going for.

It's kind of like your saying that a DSR that cost more then $50 is not a good deal or that they simply shouldn't cost that much which is not true at all.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Look, look, look. There is nothing wrong with spending $100 on a reg if it is brand new. The other day someone sold a used stainless steel victor on here for $225, body only.

However, if you just look a little harder and know what to search for, you can get a used regulator in great condition anywhere from $50 up. Just be careful. A lot of sellers will say "I know nothing about this and cannot test it, so it is absolutely AS-IS and no returns." Usually they are being honest, but you never know. Most of those regulators will be in good condition. But if you can pay $20 extra for one that specifies that is in working order, then go for it. You should be able to find one like that in good condition for $70 easily, might be used, but should work absolutely fine.

Both those regulators are great, to help make your decision, try to find out what their max regulated pressures are, and look at the max reading on the LP gauge. You want a max regulated pressure between 50, and 100, ideally. The gauge should go no higher than 200, or else it will be hard to read, 400 is the limit. If I am not mistaken the E12-244B regulates up to 50psi, which is perfect.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
When I first purchased my DSR's (about 4 years ago) I got a Victor DSR (in my appalacian allure journal) chrome plated brass for $37 shipped. Then I contacted the seller on eBay about wanting another one and he sent me a very nice chrome plated concoa DSR (in the 60-p journal) and a SS victor for ~$40 shipped. I then sold the SS victor for $45 so actually made $10 and got the nice concoa DSR.

I was pretty certain that the days of nice chrome plated DSR victors/concoa/matheson/etc have cane and gone and most of the ones I see now sell for ~$70.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yeah, If I had seen it before, I would have snagged it. I didn't want to steal it from someone right after you suggested it to them, lol. I was looking at it right when it was sold, which leads me to believe it was someone reading this thread haha. It's alright though, because I snagged a similar SS matheson shortly after for $65 shipped. I have never used a SS reg. This will be exciting.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.