496 Posts
i got a quiet one 3000 its rated at 450g at 6 feet head. max head 10 ft
with external pumps, you can get whatever max head you want basically
im looking at a panworld pressure pump to get eventually. 21 ft max head
big eheim canisters 8.5 ft head max

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
eheim 1260 or a mag 5, quiet 3000. Remember that you will get head loss with pumps.
NOT exactly true here!

Your still talking about a closed loop system.
The pump simply has to overcome the friction losses of the media, tubing and however many INCHES the piping rises above the tank water line not like head pressures involved with a sump return on an open loop where the return line drains against gravity.
HTH

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
If i were you I would wait for a nice used Iwaki md15 or md20 to come up on eBay.

Here is a link to a pdf on the smaller Iwaki pumps.

http://www.iwakiamerica.com/Literature/MD_WMD/MD1520.pdf

I have a link to an American motored wmd20 (the Japanese models are just mdxx). The American models are said to be a bit noisier but I can say that my md15 (Japanese motor) is pretty darn quiet since I surrounded it with towels to keep vibrations from resonating through the stand.

Here is a video of my md15 I have hooked inline pre-Rena XP3.

http://vimeo.com/27106934

Here is a thread I created to show it off after I got it and hooked it up. I replaced an Iwaki MD-10L that I abused to the point of death!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/143899-just-wanted-show-off-my-new.html

Bulk reef supply also just started a sale on Panworld pumps. they are very nice and second only to Iwaki. The head engineer that designed the MD/WMD series Iwakis actually works for Panworld now. I'm sure you could/can see the similarities between the two and that is why. ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
NOT exactly true here!

Your still talking about a closed loop system.
The pump simply has to overcome the friction losses of the media, tubing and however many INCHES the piping rises above the tank water line not like head pressures involved with a sump return on an open loop where the return line drains against gravity.
HTH
not true ether,
the return line always exert pressure, close loop or not. when the water from the intake goes to the outake side of the impeller it is exerting pressure from the output
in a close loop system once the syphon reached equilibrium (the input output tubes are full)the pressure is the same from input and output so no gain in pressure offset
but there is still pressure from out put, pump still has to rise the water however many feet {head}against the water pressure from the full output hose
on a sump the pressure is more on the output then the input so there is a imbalace so the pump has to still pump uphill but also has to fight the imbalance as well
to prove the point to my self i just did a experiment where i take the same canister filter with 7 ft of hose on both sides and raised water source from 4 Ft to 7 ft (same media same friction )and the water stopped pumping at about 7 ft(max head)
in both cases the pump has to fight gravity (pressure from output water height)but the sump pump has to make up for the pressure imbalance as well

·
Registered
711 Posts
have you considered the maxi-jet utility pumps? the 1800 is 475gph, 7 ft head max, 38 watts, input 3/4", output 3/4" and 1".

i have no experience with the utility line. have no experience with any model made by marineland. the original, aquarium systems (made in italy) maxi-jet powerheads are quiet, energy efficient, and extremely reliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.