• UV Sterilizer

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Purigen

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Diatom Filter

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 18.2%

Which polishes water the most effectively?

2011 Views 23 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  swylie
Hey,

My water is white cloudy when seen from the side, and I would like to have it clear again.

Which would be the best investment for the price?

1. UV sterilizer
2. Diatom filter
3. Purigen
4. Other?

Thanks,
Dexter

Edit: WCs makes the water clear for a few days, then it's back to the usual cloudiness. It's not very severe, but I would like it to be really clear looking.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
more filtration... maybe carbon
Wouldn't carbon take out the organics from the water column?
Or is that the point?

Also, to anyone who voted 'other', please specify? :)
Depend on where you problem is.
I voted Diatom
UV - kills water born bacteria, and algae. does not remove particulates
Diatom - the ultimate in trapping ultrafine particles bacteria, algae, debris, etc.
Purigen - From their site:
Purigen™ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others,
so IMHO it sounds like "Super Carbon" <ta-ta-ta-taaaaaa>. And it works well IME.

Others - possibly Flocculants - chemicals to make things stick together, create larger particles, can be picked up by your filter. They work, but I don't like them since I've had some bad experiences with them in the past with delicate fish.
Purigen is awesome. Try it. I don't think you will be disappointed. Get it in "the bag" for convenience.
Hmmm. White cloudy water is usually the cause of a bacterial bloom, which normally occurs on new tanks or major cleaning (super gravel vac with filter cleaning), but clears up eventually. How long has the tank been running?
Your post title asks which polishes water most effectively. Yes, I'd say a diatom filter....if you just want to polish water - effective and fast.

But then you ask, which is the best investment for the price. Then I'd go with a UV sterilizer. Because as an investment it can perfom multiple tasks. I own a portable unit. I can pull it out and set it up to run on any tank having a problem, from clearing GW algae to fish health issues.

By the way.... I do have all three. How many of the posters making a suggestion have or have used all three? I now use the UV on any tank at home having a problem. The diatom is only put to use when quickly setting up a temporary tank for a club or trade show.
I think the answer to the question depends on what is causing the cloudiness. If it is particulate, as I suspect, then the easiest and cheapest way is to add something to your filter that will collect these small particles, such as a micro-filtration pad, if you have that ability. I have also heard of people using filter floss in their filters for this purpose with good results.
Would Purigen not remove your ferts from the water?
I heard it doesnt, unlike carbon, but I'm not 100% sure :help:
it wont , im planning on getting it to , to help out removing small particles and some aglae
I agree with Rod, that was why I had voted UV early on. However, I think it would be more effective to try to determine why you are getting the cloudiness. Is it your substrate being reentrained or is it a true bacterial bloom. If it is a substrate issue, then the diatom filter may be more effective. If you are going with the shotgun approach, I think UV is the most valuable given it's other potential future uses down the road.
No according to Seachem. Everything you could ever want to know about purigen can be found here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/36654-purigen.html
"I use it in my planted tank continuosly with no problems.

It does not remove nitrites and nitrates directly, but rather it removes dissolved organics that would otherwise break down into nitrites and nitrates.

Its impact on trace elements and nutrients is minimal.

Yes, dosing Flourish Nitrogen will put nitrogen in the water which Purigen won't absorb.

Nitrogen is am element. You want to put nitrogen compounds in your tank so plants can use them. Nitrate is a nitrogen compound - NO3. However, it's better to use nitrogen compounds that are closer in structure to an amine group (NH2) which plants use to make plant proteins. For example, ammonium - NH4+.

Flourish Nitrogen is a blend of different nitrogen compounds, including potassium nitrate, ammonium"
Diatom is the way to go for pure polishing. I have an eheim 2217 with 2 packs of purigen in there on my 55g, and the water was very clear. I run my magnum 350 with diatom powder about once a month for a day or so, and the water gets even more clear which I didn't even think was possible. It makes it look like there is no water if your glass is clean as well.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the tank set up since mid-November. The substrate-caused cloudiness cleared within a week. I used 2 aquaclear 70 filled with only filter floss to do the job.

I suspect it is due to a bacterial bloom. I am waiting for someone to sell their diatom filter for cheaper.

As per spypet's suggestion, I read some of the older magnum diatom threads, seems like the general consensus is that the vortex is the best in the LR due to its 1 micron filtration and handiness given experience, but the magnum is easier to start off with but eventually a hassle to maintain.

I like the idea of a diatom filter--probably the vortex because of its superior polishing capacity. Purigen won't be as useful because I maintain multiple tanks. U.V. sterilizer is a close second option too.
I suspect it is due to a bacterial bloom.
If it is a bacterial bloom, just wait it out and it should clear up on its own. I can't guarantee that it will, but in most instances I've read about and experienced, it goes away on its own in about a week or less.
the best water filer i have seen is Zeba Mussels they will filter the water spotless and they live in fresh water. only problem is that if you are not watchfull they will cover the bottom your tank
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.