The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've finally got my aquarium set up enough to do some planting while I finish up some of the electrical. I'm trying to decide which plants to use to make a jungle scape. I have christmas moss on the driftwood and some needle leaf java fern floating around, but I can't decide what other plants would be best. I'm open to all suggestions, I would just like to limit the number of stem plants so that I don't have to trim all the time. Sorry my aquascaping isn't very good:iamwithst, it's not even close to the way I wanted, but it'll work for now. I'm using nutrient rich substrate and pressurized CO2 and will also be adding ferts to the water column if necessary. I fall short on knowing all the plants as I don't have a good reference book to use. What does everyone else use? Everytime I read a plant name I have to Google it to see what it is. Surely there's a better way. Thanks for reading my long post. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Scape's not bad! What are you talking about hahaha. I really like those wood arch scape. Fertilisers will probably be neccesary with CO2 and reasonable lighting BTW.
Uhhh you just gotta get used to plant names, a lot of common names are close to useless and you start to learn and remember a lot of the binomial names after a while. If you can't remember something, or don't know what it is, Google is your best friend. I've learnt a lot by just being active in the forum, looking at stuff in my own time etc.. I'm surprised I have learnt so many, kinda wish I had the same ability for memorising school stuff.
But I digress, back to planting. I would not be adverse to stems, stems are you friend, they grow fast and can help you reach balance in your tank a bit quicker. At the back go for tall plants (obviously), either go for a bush of stems like Rotala or Ludwigia species or tapey plants. Some suggestion are Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala sp. 'Green' and Ludwigia arcuata. There are many more to choose from. Tapey plants, Cyperus helferi or Vallisneria species are good, great for the jungle look. Can't tell the dimensions of your tank so that would affect which background plants you use. Maybe have stems on one side and the tapey plants on the other. If you do that go tapey plants on the left, stems on the right.
Midground plants: Alternanthera reineckki 'Mini' is nice for colour
Pogostemon helferi is nice cus it's got funky leaf shapes
Anubias species and Bucephalandra are good to break foreground and midground, you can also attach them to the wood to accent them. You could also use these 2 genus of plants where the arch blocks light. As they can handle the low light.
Use Cryptocoryne species where the arch is blocking light, as a lot of plants won't be able to take it. Look at C. parva, there are a few others that would work there, but ain't coming to my mind now.
Foreground: Mixture of Staurogyne repens and Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' would be my go for this tank, Maybe Glossostigma elatinoides instead of the E. acicularis 'Mini'.
Really there's many plants to choose from, have a look online on websites like Tropica or scapes you like and pick out plants you like and use those. The suggestions I gave are just a few to get you started really. Have fun with the binomial names, it's good to get started learning early ;).
In future, I also recommend getting all your plants before you fill your tank. Low plant load at the start and planting while it's wet can both be problems.
EDIT: And you thought your post was long... I tend to be extremely verbose. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I planned on filling with plants before filling with water, but I got anxious to start letting it cycle. I do have CO2 and ferts along with good lighting, so I think I should be able to grow most plants. I like the idea of separating the mid ground with anubias or crypts and using them in the shade, that would probably be ideal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries best of luck! I'm sure this tank will be something good.
Why were you anxious about cycling if I may ask?
I already had the tank set up and running so that I could make all the adjustments on the sump and I couldn't handle not having anything to watch.:laugh2: That and I got a deal on the moss and Java that I have and I couldn't pass it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.