The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the archives for a complete answer to this question, but I haven't found one yet.

Does anyone know what a fairly complete list would be for plants that will be killed by 3% HP at 2ml per gallon?

Hornwort is the only one I know for sure, though I have heard that it can bounce back.

I am wondering about:

moss
anacharis
vals
marimo balls
baby's tears
all others

Thanks,

Lainey Alexander

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
At 3ml/gallon:

Anacharis may be affected. Leaves turn transparent then fall apart. A single dose usually doesn't do much damage, but frequent dosing will.

Marimbo ball totally unaffected.

Can't speak from experience on the others.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if anacharis is unaffected at 2ml per gallon? Or will it still take a hit?

I have lots of anacharis in a tank that has a few tufts of BBA on some vals - I would like to try HP but have concern about the sensitivity of the plants themselves. I was not planning to exceed 2ml per gallon.

Thanks,

Lainey

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
If you don't mind hunting for the BBA a piece at a time you can use a syringe and spot treat the affected plants while the pumps are shut down and maintain even lower dosages by spot treating. Good luck with it. Some of this crap found its way into a couple of my tanks about six months ago and is never completely destroyed.:( Now they are both quarantined from all the rest and the plant trimmings are all mulched instead of shared.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you dosing the 1ml per gallon daily as a preventive for algae? How long have you been doing this? Do you have fish that are doing well with this system?

I have wondered about lower dosing daily as a preventive as they do in ponds with barley straw which they seem to think breaks down to H202 at low levels to prevent algae. But I thought the levels would be more like one tenth ml per gallon - that's probably way too low to do anything effective.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Do you know if anacharis is unaffected at 2ml per gallon? Or will it still take a hit?
Sorry, I don't know. But I would suspect it does, albeit at a slower rate, with repeated dosing.

As a whole-tank treatment I've never used less than 3ml/gallon. At this dosage, impact on algae was minimal; it only appeared to slow growth. Higher dosages showed exponential improvement. I didn't see effects I considered worthwhile until 9ml/gallon, but at that level some fish started showed signs of stress.

I no longer use whole-tank H2O2 treatments. I still sometimes use it to spray on plants/decorations outside the tank.

I also use it to clean the substrate against the front glass when it starts to look dirty, by injecting H2O2 at intervals and inch or two apart underneath the substrate. Treatment once per day for three days does a nice job. I limit each treatment to 3ml/gallon, though I think much less enters the water column before it has a chance to react.

And of course I'll consider it as a general algae spot treatment, should I have need. But Excel also works for that. Seems the same plants that are sensitive to H2O2 are sensitive to Excel, and vica versa. Since I've chosen to keep an Excel-friendly tank, I no longer keep anacharis.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have been dosing H2O2 every night for trying to kill some hair algae that started growing and have been doing this for about 2 weeks now. I have fish in there and have seen no effect on them. I have also been dosing 60ml per night in my 90 gal and the only plant I have seen that may be effected is my elatine triandra but I am also dosing excel every night so I am not sure which one would be effecting it. I have seen a tremendous difference in my tanks since I have been dosing excel and H2O2. Plants seem heathier & very little algae. The only problem with excel is that it is so darn expensive! H2O2 is pretty cheap but would recommend dosing both and dose the H2O2 at a rate of about 1ml/gal or as I am doing with my 90 gal tank just start small and work up to 1ml/gal and see how your plants and fish react.

·
Registered
885 Posts
+1 to the syringe and spot treatment.

i picked up a baby medicine syringe, attached a foot or two of airline hosing to it so i can control it better and not have to stick the whole thing under water. also doubles as a a great ml measuring device ferts/dechlor

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was dosing...the hornwort loses it's needles but will recover...easy enough to remove since its a floating plant.
My Cabomba Furcata was wrecked, and did not recover - however, it could have been from the blasted diatoms / algae.
Mark

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
All my Anacharis died and about 25% of my Hornwort. The Hornwort is bouncing back and the Cabomba did not "feel" a thing. I did 3ml/g for 4 days + double dose of Metricide. BBA is gone, for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.