The Planted Tank Forum banner

which plant produces these sprouts?

661 5
they block the light.....thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You talking about the stuff floating on top of your water? If so that is duckweed, its not a sprout, if you didn't add it to your tank yourself you probably got a piece that was stuck on another stem or plant your bought in the past. It does not take long for this plant to spread, one piece is enough to cover your entire tank with the stuff given enough time.

But is you are talking about the plant below the duckweed, that plant looks like sunset hygro, it grows pretty quickly if that is what is causing the problem you can just trim it back frequently.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yup, you would have to remove every single piece, they will eat it all, I once killed off all the duckweed I had in a 55 gallon aquarium, probably at least 1.5 inches deep across the entire surface, with a double dose of QuickCure, I read the instructions wrong and a couple days later there was no more duckweed, I am by no means suggesting that your try this method, just thought I would share my experience, or buy a couple goldfish,. Then you can give the gold fish away to some local kids or take them back to the LFS.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ways to get rid of duckweed:
Sneakily give it away
Lol, that's probably how they ended up with it in the first place. But if you don't want it you can give it away usually. But it is a great source of non-animal protein. Duckweed in reality is a super food, it is great for fish, birds, humans, cows, etc etc, the protein to fat ratio is really low and that is why it is being used in animal feeds and even in those fancy juice and smoothly drinks people pay $12 for. There are even more uses for duckweed beyond food, RAOKings and oh so many hobbyists' trash cans, one of the more interesting concepts is the use of duckweed for bio-energy. Just think about powering your home and running your car off some duckweed, bet you won't throw it in the trash then! Here are a few links about duckweed.

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/duckweed

http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/nutritional-composition.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.