The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has a preference between the Anubias barteri Petite and Anubias barteri 'Nana'? The only difference I know of is that the Petite grows smaller leaves.
Are there other differences? Is one faster or hardier than the other?
I have a medium light tank with soon to be added Eco complete substrate.
Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
petite is smaller - that's about it. There is also a version called "narrow leaf", a little easy to get and cheaper (last time I got some) that stays small.

just don't bury the rhizome!
Thanks, I hadn't heard about the narrow leaf form, I'll have to look that up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a medium light tank with soon to be added Eco complete substrate.
Thanks!
Just my two cents- Eco complete is terrible to plant in because it's too light. When you try to stick plants into it by pushing the roots into it with a infer and pull your finger out, the substrate doesn't just collapse around the roots and keep it in place like you would think. Half the time you stick roots into it the plant is floating around a minute later. It's also inert - unlike the deceptive name and packaging might indicate. you will have to dose all nutrients. I started with Eco complete, hated it, and very glad I switched to fluorite. At least fluorite has iron to ensure your plants are green no matter what else or how often you dose. It's also twice as easy to plant. Go with fluorite sand if you're worried about it being too sharp for fish barbels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah, petite stays small and nana is bigger, that's pretty much the difference.

I personally prefer petite, because it stays small and you can form a really nice looking carpet of it on the foreground.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Just my two cents- Eco complete is terrible to plant in because it's too light. When you try to stick plants into it by pushing the roots into it with a infer and pull your finger out, the substrate doesn't just collapse around the roots and keep it in place like you would think. Half the time you stick roots into it the plant is floating around a minute later. It's also inert - unlike the deceptive name and packaging might indicate. you will have to dose all nutrients. I started with Eco complete, hated it, and very glad I switched to fluorite. At least fluorite has iron to ensure your plants are green no matter what else or how often you dose. It's also twice as easy to plant. Go with fluorite sand if you're worried about it being too sharp for fish barbels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
been using eco complete for years now and it works fantastically. i've never had issues planting in it. unlike flourite, which i've also used, doesn't turn the water into a cloudy mess. to each their own. but one persons experience doesn't automatically make something terrible.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply's everyone. It seems as though it will just be a matter of if I want a smaller leaf or larger leaf then.
I'll probably end up getting both anyway..

On the Eco complete, I have used it before and it worked well for me, I do see what your saying about it being a little hard to plant in. I'm going to be mixing it into my black sand so hopefully that will remedy that problem.
Thanks again for sharing all opinions, if anyone has any more to add about the two plants please do.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
been using eco complete for years now and it works fantastically. i've never had issues planting in it. unlike flourite, which i've also used, doesn't turn the water into a cloudy mess. to each their own. but one persons experience doesn't automatically make something terrible.
I agree. I've had tremendous success with eco complete. I had flourite before and hated it for the same reason. Turned my tank into a muddy mess. As for things floating up...anything will float up if you don't plant it deep enough.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+2 on the eco! Never had a problem with it.
Well it's reassuring to know most people like the Eco complete, I used it a few years back and liked it. Since I already have black sand in my tank and really like black substrate, its about my only option that's in my price range for the upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've had nana's that grew petites on them for no particular reason. I've also had pieces of nana that were cut or broken a little too small become petite, and keep the small leaf size as they regrew. Anyone know how to get a nana out of a petite?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I honestly had trouble with eco, but mixing it with pool filter sand fixed that problem and added a more natural look.
IME, nana grows bigger, faster, is easier to find, and is usually a few bucks cheaper than petite.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have both in my 75....although I prefer coffefolia to nana tbh but both have their place

I like petite for when you want a "carpeted" look on a piece of wood or hardscape that is rather large, but nana and larger anubias species and varieties work very well for when you need a showpiece plant or something to fill in crevices.

To make a food analogy, the bigger anubias are the main course while the petite is just the garnish and ornamentation around the dish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.