The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a walk through a park in western WA, I have found an as yet unidentified (my friend in CA has my microscope) species of Plagiomnium moss, which looks like a bunch of tiny ferns. It has been living in my moss terrarium outside for about 5 months with about 15 other rad looking species. I have seen two or three species of Plagiomnium (trichomanes and affine) in the aquarium trade but none that are common in WA. However, a search on this floral survey website revealed that about a quarter of Plagiomnium survey sites in the Olympic Peninsula are recorded as periodically flooded or inundated.

In my setup the Plagi moss favors growing on the moist glass on the back edge. I'm wondering since the moss likes to be on that back panel if it might be a flood-tolerant species that with the right lighting and CO2 can be cultivated in aquaria. So I put some in a sealed jar of water under an aquarium light.

I'll keep you guys posted, I guess. Any information about this genus of moss would be appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't think any of these are truly suitable for long-term submerged culture, they can withstand being under-water for some time, and require damp conditions, but ultimately, I think these belong more in a water-fall feature or something like that in a paludarium :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The moss is now showing both signs of death and signs of growth after being submerged since I started the thread, which is slightly confusing as it is my usual experience with a lot of emersed-grown plants that they shed emersed growth and begin underwater mode. But then the other thing is that it could also not work.

updates to follow

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump: UPDATE:

This stuff has been in the same jar, sealed watertight and upside down since I put it in. I thought it had all died, but after a few months on my windowsill not looking at it much, I have just noticed about 10 pretty new "shoots" growing from the mass of decayed terrestrially harvested moss. I'm attributing the cause to the steady light levels and cycle on my windowsill as opposed to a desk lamp. There are some gas bubbles stuck to the decaying part. Upon further inspection I can see small tufts of whiskerlike filaments protruding from the leaf bases, something I haven't ever seen or heard described in this genus. Too small for the iphone 4.

I sealed the jar in this case to see if the moss will grow in poor water conditions with low circulation and no gas exchange. It has indeed. Eventually I'll set up a tank of this moss and attempt to grow it in room temp, diy co2 water with high flow. Results to come.

SCIENCE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts